MS Project Importer - field size limit

I have encountered an issue when trying to import content from MS Excel into MS Project via the MS Project Importer Wizard. 

The MS Project Importer Wizard automatically fires off when I open the template file in MS Project. That is not the problem.

Usng the MS Project Task List Import template to store my MS Excel content, the MS Project Importer Wizard normally behaves as it should and enables me to import my content.   

All of a sudden it no longer worked.  The Importer Wizard continued to commence as it should but, the wizard would no longer expose the field names in the Excel file so that I could map the fields to the MS Project fields.   No error message - just no fields appear for me to map.

It took me a while to figure out the cause, but it seems to be linked to the actual length of the content in one of the text fields of one of my Excel file rows.   When I cut the content in the field from 41 wordsof text  to 17 words everything works fine consistently.  But, as soon as I add additional content into the field of the one record, the bad behavior returns ( no fields are presented for mapping, not even the ones that have no issues).  I verified that there were no special characters in the questionable field.  

I'm pretty sure the length is the issue.  I'd like to know if there is a workaround, or do I need to limit my content.   Is this a known issue?

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 1,374 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Update,
The following is a synopsis of the response from Microsoft after reviewing the sample Excel file I sent to them:

John

The problem simply looks like a bug.  The same scenario works in Project 2007; starting with Project 2010, the other file formats that Project supports were replaced with Microsoft's home-grown code with a generic Office-wide module and it seems something's not going well.  A fix in this area was part of the June 2013 CU and in some ways what is seen in the sample file is similar but obviously not exactly the same. From all appearances, it would appear that a read buffer is getting set incorrectly and so only part of data is coming through.  There are no suggestions for foolproof workarounds, however, that if the Excel file is first exported to a Text file (TXT, for example), then the import from that TXT file to Project does appear to work correctly.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.