Change working time without affecting the duration of tasks

Hi,

I'm quite a newbie to MS Project. I created a new project and added several manual tasks and specified their start & finish dates; however, I realized that the default working hours of MS Project is 8 hours a day while the team's who'll be doing this project will work on this project at most 2 hours per day. Now that I try to change the default "hours per day" through the Project Options window, MS Project multiplies all the durations by 4! For example, a 30-day task will change to 120 days, which of course doesn't make any sense at all.

So here's my question: how can I change the working hours without changing the durations of the already-created tasks?

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2019 Views 4,601 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Ardalan_SF,
I'm not familiar with Lynda.com but if you really want to learn how to use Project, your best bet is hands on training from a qualified instructor. You may be able to learn it on your own, but it will take a long time; the learning curve is steep.

What you really want is a fixed duration type task (task type can be set on a task by task basis via Task Information/Advanced tab, or you could set it for the whole project under Options). A fixed duration tasks simply says that the task is expected (or allowed) to take 30 days. The total estimated work content for that task is 20 hours. Once the fixed duration task is set up with 30 days duration, assign your resource(s) and then enter 20 hours into the Work field. Project will linearly spread the 20 hours over the 30 day duration. You can manually contour each days work hours in the Resource Usage view but why bother if your only real goal is that the task be completed by the end of the 30 day period.

Hope this helps.

John

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.