Powerpoint 2010 insert audio or video from file not available

In my installation of Powerpoint 2010 the options to insert audio and video from file are greyed out. Specifically the only media insert options that are available are to insert from clip art. The greyed out (unavailable) options are:

• insert video from file
  • insert video from web site
  • insert audio from file
  • record audio

I am running Vista Ultimate SP2 with a 32bit installation.

My Windows Media Player works fine and successfully plays all the media I would want to insert. It also appears to be the latest version of Media Player 11. (11.0.6002.18311). From what I have read that is relevant. I have not been able to find any media player download that would enable me to repair or reinstall media player to see if that fixes the powerpoint media problem

I have tried uninstalling Vista SP2 but it did not fix the problem. So I reinstalled SP2.

I fully uninstalled Office 2010. Then I reinstalled Powerpoint 2007 and tested the ability to insert audio and video, as I had done many times previously. Inserting media worked perfectly in Powerpint 2007.

So next I downloaded a fresh Office 2010 (Home & Business) installation package from the Microsoft website. I selected the installation option for a full Office 2010 installation that removed all previous 2007 versions of Office. Unfortunatley that did not fix the problem and the insert media (audio and video) options are still greyed out.

Given the insert audio option worked perfectly in powerpoint 2007 and there was no other change to my system before upgrading to 2010 I am now all out of ideas for how to fix this problem.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2019 Views 8,233 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Refer the suggestion by Echo in the thread link below and check if it helps.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/pptcreate/thread/5031c97e-21f4-4869-b4c6-03b0597b5e46/#dfe18964-411a-410e-8e79-52feeb995c27

Ganesh Kumar N

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.