Windows Search does not Open Outlook 2010 items. No error reported. Items open fine within Outlook 2010 itself.

I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with 32 bit  Office 2010.

I installed Outlook 2010 64 bit and everything worked great. However, due to unsupported 64 bit add-ins, I had to uninstall the 64 bit version and reinstall 32 bit.

After that, the Windows Search no longer opened any outlook items (email, contacts, calendar, etc.). All of the items are indexed and new items continue to get indexed. They just don't open. No error is shown or even put into the windows logs. It just does nothing. When I shut down Outlook entirely and try to open an item an outlook task bar icon briefly shows. If I am quick and hover my mouse over it, I see “Another program is using Outlook. To Disconnect or exit outlook …” show up as a hint/tooltip.

All other files in the Windows Search open up without a problem. Only outlook items appear to be affected. Also, a search within Outlook 2010 works fine and opens the items without a problem.

I have reinstalled Office 2010 and rebuilt the Windows index a couple of times, but still does not resolve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

SOLVED!!! A quick look in ProcMon when double clicking an email search result showed me what file it was looking for, and what file it was not finding:

Open Regedit:

Find Key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\9.4\0\win64\

Change (Default) value from:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\msoutl.olb

To:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\msoutl.olb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2018 Views 3,188 Applies to: