Search for e-mails in Outlook is not returning recent e-mails that should be returned.

I have a new computer running Windows 7, 64bit.   I've added many new programs in a short period of time everything is working well except for my e-mail search within Outlook 2010. 

Outlook will not search e-mail received after December 7, 2010.  I get correct returns of all e-mail from before December 8, 2010, but not after that although I got the computer and set up Outlook in late November and all was working well then.  All other search functions seem to be working normally on the computer.

I’m not sure where to begin in solving this problem. I depend on the search capabilities of Outlook.

Dan

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Check if indexing is complete for Outlook. Click on ‘File > Options > Search > Indexing Options’ to check the same.

If the indexing is complete and you are still not finding anything, rebuild the index. Click on ‘File > Options > Search > Indexing Options > Advanced’ to rebuild the index.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Somasundaram,

I did check and my computer indicated that Indexing was complete.  Then I rebuilt the index.  Now, when I search, I don't get any results!!  It tells me, "No matches found for 'whatever I searched for'."

When I looked under Search Tools>Outlook Options>Search the radio button underResults was set for Current folder.  I tried changing that toAll folders, but my search results were still "No matches..."

Further exploration under Search Tools>Outlook Options>Add-insI find that under the Disabled Application Add-ins heading, I haveWindows Search Email Indexer with a location of C:\Windows\System32\mssphtb.dll  I have attempted to use the Manage: command at the bottom of this window to reenable the Add-in, by going toDisabled Items and selecting mssphtb.dll and clicking Enable.  Then I went back to Manage: set it to COM Add-ins and in the pop-up I checked the box for Windows Search Email Indexer, clicked OK and restarted Outlook.  No difference.  On other observation, when I checked the box forWindows Search Email Indexer, I noticed that under the window there was a  information area. It gave the location of the file and stated that theLoad Behavior: was Unloaded.

Does this have anything to do with the problem?  Is there a way for me to turnWindows Search Email Indexer back on?  Can I reinstall it somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having this problem with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Outlook 2010 64-bit.  I can get indexing to work by rebuilding it, and it will work properly for a while, but then it simply stops indexing and the only results that are returned are the ones that it indexed prior to that.

For example, at this present time, Outlook Search is only returning results dated on or before 5/25 1:33 PM.

This has happened 4 or 5 times since I installed Outlook on a new Windows 7 64-bit laptop with Outlook 64-bit.  Each time I had to complete disable and re-enable indexing and rebuild the index.  Then it works for a week or two, then quits again.

This is really frustrating, because I rely on the search function quite a bit in my work.  Any ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here this is super frustrating
The "Troubleshoot search and indexing" link is useless too

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem...very frustrating...I've checked everything I can find. Has anyone found a solution ? Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Year and a half, no answer?

I'm having a similar issue, as well as a couple other of my users.  Typing in a keyword returns no results... even if I copy/paste that keyword from an email....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar issue, as well as a couple other of my users.  Typing in a keyword returns no results... even if I copy/paste that keyword from an email....
Hi,
I solved this problem. I hope this solution works for you, too.
 The cause of it was "Not having enough HDD space to make a complete search".
I just deleted some of my unnecessary files and folders. Then it ran OK. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i had the same issue - I found that I could not find any mails using search in outlook since May. I tied rebuilding the indexes, and checked that the indexing status was "0 items to be indexed".  This did not help.

Then I remembered that I installed the outlook.com connector around this time. I disabled it from the options, restated outlook, and Bingo, I now see all my mail when I search, right up to 10 seconds ago.  So indexes were fine, but outlook.com connector "broke" the search.

The outlook.com connector never worked anyway - it would recieve mails, but I could never send mails. When I tried, it poped up a captcha type dialogue, but where the image should be it always said Error getting image or similar, so could not send.  As outlook.com accounts dont support IMAP, Ive migrated away from outlook.com back to gmail.com addresses, and now outlook is happy.

Actually, not all is good.  Since I disabled the connector, now all emails are appearing 2, 3 or 4 times as duplicates when I search.  The duplicates are messages sent to a single address, and are all shown as being in "inbox".   Even old emails from last year are doing this.  When I had the outlook connector installed, it was only showing one email (but no recent ones).  some emails are also showing up in "inbox" and "all mail" (but not all of them). I set outlook to always search all accounts (I have about 5 IMAP email accounts setup and one exchange).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I solved this problem. I hope this solution works for you, too.
 The cause of it was "Not having enough HDD space to make a complete search".
I just deleted some of my unnecessary files and folders. Then it ran OK. 

I'm having the same problem - looks like it's been over two years now. It won't even list my flagged items beyond a certain date - I just have to scroll through myself and see what I've flagged. Incredibly frustrating and Outlook doesn't seem to realize there is a problem.

I haven't tried clearing up some space yet - that may be the problem, though it doesn't make sense since I have a pretty new computer with tons and tons of excess memory.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here - I've seen a inbox message that says 'replied on xxx', and if I DON'T use search, I can navigate to that date and find the message. If I use search, for the explicit recipients name, subject, etc. no results are returned.

It's ridiculous this is still a problem - and seeing the other comments here, apparently it isn't a priority. No wonder gmail nearly killed Outlook. I'd be using it now if I wasn't forced into Outlook at work.

Note: I've checked indexing, that's fine. I've rebuilt, that doesn't work. I've RE-INSTALLED, that doesn't work. There appears to be a consistent gap in 'recent' email. Over two week old email seems to consistently show up, and immediate <24h sent sometimes does too. It's the 24-two week old email that appears to be missing in search.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 265 Applies to: