Password does not work with Outlook 2010

Original thread title: New password does not work with Outlook 2010 Connector for Hotmail

A week ago I changed my Microsoft Account password.  I can use the new one to get to my Hotmail account via a browser but it no longer works on two different Outlook 2010 systems (both running Windows 7).  Every time I start up Outlook it prompts me for the password but the new password does not work and I get prompted again, ad infinitum.  This started right after I changed my password and I have been unable to use Outlook since.  I am getting very frustrated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Tony Zackin,

I understand your frustration about your issue of unable to access your account on Outlook 2010. Please verify to us of the same issue persists or you are unable to sign in to your account using the web. If yes, please give us the exact error message you get.

If the issue does not happen on the web, please contact Microsoft Office Outlook 2010’s support team on this link for they can better address you with this.

We are looking forward for your response.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I continue to have the problem with Outlook 2010 and have it as well for MS Live Mail which I posted as well.  Although, on one of my 3 machines, MS Live Mail started to work a few days ago.  On my primary machine it still fails so I still must resort to web mail (which is awful in comparison).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Based on the information, you said that Windows Live Mail started to work a few days ago. If it works fine in Live Mail but still having problems with Outlook 2010, I suggest that you refer to Outlook support as they can best address this issue. Please refer to this link.

Should you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Live Mail now works but only on one of my 3 machines.  Live Mail on my primary desktop will not recognize my valid password and says it is not.  I am only able to connect to Hotmail via my browser.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tony,

Since you were able to connect to your account via web browser, I suggest that you reconfigure your account in Live Mail.   Please follow the article below to know how. 

How do I add an account to Windows Live Mail?

Let us know if you have other concerns. 

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I HAVE removed and re-added my account several times to no avail.  Please understand something - THIS PROBLEM IS OCCURRING AT THE SERVER NOT ON MY MACHINE!!!  If only someone who read these posts actually knew how to program they might have the logic to realize that when a problem suddenly occurs on 3 machines simultaneously where the only change was made on the server, viz., a password change, that the most likely place to look would be at the server database and the server code.  AND, YES, I DID CHANGE THE PASSWORDS ON EACH OF THE MACHINES IN QUESTION and I even wiped out my profiles on two of them.

I would hope that instead of trying to tell ME what to do after 3 weeks of frustration someone would have the good sense to notify the powers that be in Microsoftland that they have a problem with my account.  What do I have to do to get someone to look at it?  

Please, please help me fix this thing.  I am at the point where I am going to give up my Hotmail Plus account and switch all of my email to my web host's email system.  I don't want to go through the hassle of doing this but Microsoft's abysmal support is going to force my hand. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We're still trying to figure out what might be the cause of your issue. We need to know if you get any error message when you tried to log in to your  Windows Live Mail account? While trying to reconfigure the account, what error have you encountered? We would also suggest that you try to reset the password again by going to this link. These information would be a great help for us in identifying your issue.

Furthermore, we would need to ask you to collect your log files from Windows Live Mail before we proceed to our next action. To do this, please refer to the article provided below and please follow instructions thereafter:

How can I collect log files from Windows Live Mail

Please provide and upload log files in the private message area that I have created for you. Just click the notification that states “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section. "Then let us know here in the public thread that you have replied.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have replied to your post in the private message area. Please make sure that you are signed in to this forum to view the link.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem was finally resolved by a moderator who pointed out that I may have been using Two-Step Verification. In fact, when I changed my password I noticed the new feature and thought I would give it a try.  Then I forgot about it.  Unfortunately, the powers that be at Microsoft did not see the point of notifiying those of us who use Hotmail via Outlook that Two-Step Verification is incompatible.  And, apparently, none of the many support people with whom I spoke or corresponded with did either. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I too began to have the same problem in outlook after a Hotmail password change on the browser. So if the resolution involves not using Two-step verification, how do we switch it off at the server so that Outlook can cope?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2020 Views 717 Applies to: