Outlook PST files not being indexed in Windows 8

After upgrading to Windows 8 from 7, I am unable to search emails in my current Outlook profile through Windows Search.

I have checked the default PST file with scanpst.exe - I have unchecked Outlook in indexing options and rebooted. I have rebuilt the index. Nothing appears to work. I have repeated these steps logged into Windows 8 as a windows account and a local account. No difference.

I'm running 64-bit Win 8 pro on a 2 month old machine upgraded from 64-bit Win 7 Home. 

The following 2 events are noted after an index rebuild:
"The store C:\Users\paul\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst has detected a catalog rebuild."

"The store C:\Users\paul\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst is being re-pushed to the indexer for the following reason: Index reset (or catalog signature changed), re-push entire store."

Gripe (while I'm on the subject of Outlook and indexing):
For the record, I've always had issues indexing archived Outlook files with Windows search--and this hasn't changed whether the OS is XP, Vista or Win7.  At least with versions prior to Win 8, I could reliably search the default profile's PST through Windows search. XP, Vista and Win 7 would index archived PST files in a second profile but that index was terribly unreliable and the second profile had to be re-indexed often. Win 7 was the worst offender. I could do a search and retrieve, say, results from several years' PST files. If I opened one of the emails from the search results, the rest of that PST files' contents would disappear instantly from the search results' window, requiring the profile to be opened in Outlook for several hours to re index the archived PST files. With Win 8, I'm not even able to index the default profile never mind the archive files. I wish MS could devise a better way to search archived Outlook files.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2018 Views 6,551 Applies to:
Answer
You can def search outlook from explorer. Enter you search string. Click on the "search menu". Click the "search again in" drop down and select outlook. I told you it was cumbersome! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.