Question

Q: Outlook Links not working "General failure. An error occurred sending the command to the application"

My Outlook has been working fine for ages now but suddenly I am unable to open links.
When I click a link I get an error message "General failure. An error occurred in sending the command to the application" . . .
When I restart my computer, sometimes the links miraculously work again but then they stop working - seemingly after my computer hibernates or remains on for a period of time.

I have also been receiving a similar error when opening files in Excel. "There was a problem sending a command to the program". The only way I have found around the error is to open up excel first and then open files. No files can be opened unless excel is already running . . .

Answer

A:

As for as the issue with Excel, you may follow the steps below and check if this helps:

1. Start Excel

2. Click on File

3. Choose Options >

4. Select Advanced options tab on the left menu

5. Scroll down to the “General” section

6. Uncheck ignore other application that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) option

7. Click OK, and try opening excel files again.

For issue with Outlook, You may refer to the following thread for similar issue ( suggestions by ‘Niranjan’):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/internet-links-not-working-in-outlook-2010-general/17f72de9-671a-41d6-ab86-fd39b823dff9

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,721 Last updated: November 26, 2017 Applies to: