Outlook 2010 Attachment Previewer not working

Upgraded users from Office 2007 and some from Office XP to Office 2010. They are unable to preview attachments (any type attachments) Says 'previewer not installed'
Where I think the problem might lie is in that these users still have portions (specifically Frontpage) of older Offices left on those machines. Cannot upgrade to Sharepoint 2010 because our servers aren't ready for it yet. Also tried going to Sharepoint 2007 (our servers will handle apparently) but still no go. Other users did upgrade from 2007 (and only 2007) and it works fine, even from same admin install point.
Anyone know where to kill the offending reg entries to make this work?
(also all these machines are XP Pro. sp3)
|
Answer
Answer

I found this answer from another user and IT WORKS GREAT!  Here is what that person wrote:  Again, thank you to that person!!

Somehow the DCOM permission got changed, so it wouldn't allow certain applications access to simple things like Preview mode on Outlook 2010 / 2007, or opening up attachments without it saying file corrupt. I also was having an issue with Pop ups in IE8, where javascript messages about security tokens were not authenticated.

The solution is as follows, and then you can turn on your protected mode back on in word, excel, and your "Preview mode" in outlook will start working again.

Go to start, then run. Type dcomcnfg and push o.k. Component Services should come up.

Expand Component Services, click on Computers, then "Right click" on My Computer and go to "properties".

Click on Default Properties tab, and make sure the following is set:

Default Authentication Level: Should say Connect, not "None"

And Default Impersonation Level: SHould say Identify.

When those are set properly, hit o.k and turn on your protected mode back on your Office applications. Everything works as expected :)

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2021 Views 59,052 Applies to: