How do I access outlook remotely?

Hi,

I would like to access my outlook (Office 2010) - from my desktop computer,  using a laptop.  Both will use windows 7 (or windows 8 maybe on laptop)   

Both are in the same work group and I can share files if need be.

For now, I have the desktop hard wired to a wireless router which is also connected to the internet. 

The laptop is also working with the same wireless router. 

I am looking for the best solutions because my outlook is complicated with several accounts and some serious rules.  Syncing might be an extreme hassle as I have my contacts linked with linked in... and other social media.  Also I would not want to lose emails or have them come back after deletion.

Would it be better to do a remote desktop type access? 

Is that good over wireless within a work group, or would I want to use internet?

Is there a good way (with wizard) where I could create a VPN from laptop to desktop over the internet If I am away?  (last resort- security scared)

As far as answers are concerned, I am looking for possibilities and suggestions. (even specific terminology.)   Pointing to a good how to article and personal advice is good.  I can usually work out specifics if I am assured of the capabilities and would really appreciate recommendations.  

I would really like to know if this can be done - with out third party apps and security holes.

If Office is not installed, or activated on the new PC you would need to use remote access/VPN

If Office is installed, with Outlook on the new PC, it depends on the type of mail accounts as to whether you would need third party paid for sync software

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There are endless approaches to the same solution using built-in options etc.

Do a google search on "remove windows access" and you will find no shortage of very viable options.

One such offering Teamviewer is free for personal use http://www.teamviewer.com and is very simple to use. Two caveats to it (1) ensure that your regular use conforms to the license agreement) - (2) have known earlier versions of TV to interference (causing on memory access errors when set to always be running 24x7 on a given computer -that issue may or may not still apply). Aside from the latter item, it's an excellent program.

The key to making this type of scenario work is to ensure that your "primary" computer <always> has internet access and that you utilize Outlook from the one machine.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]
http://www.contactgenie.info

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 7,097 Applies to: