Help with this error message: Outlook.pst is not an Outlook Data file (.pst)

I am trying to import a pst file into Outlook 2010 from Outlook 2010 located in another computer & receive this error message: Outlook.pst is not an Outlook Data file (.pst)  I've followed the various Forum answers but nothing works. I've burned up 3+ hours - Frustrating!  What am I doing wrong?

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2018 Views 2,430 Applies to:

Hello Ray,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community. We are glad to assist you with your concern.

If I understand the issue correctly, importing the data file into Outlook gives an error message.

Before we proceed I would require some more information to assist you better.

1. How are you trying import the data file from another Computer?

2. Was the data file backed up and transferred from another computer?

The issue usually occurs when the data file you are trying to import is corrupted.

To resolve the issue let us scan and repair the Outlook data file having issues with and then try importing the data into Outlook 2010.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010354964.aspx

I hope the above information helps. If you still have questions, you can always reply and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Girish,

Thank you for your offer to help.  I've finally successfully accomplished the transfer with 1 error (so far), the contacts did not transfer with their assigned categories, a messy & time-consuming task to rectify.  What did I do wrong?  These are the steps followed:

1.Export Contact .PST file to SD card, import into Outlook 2010

Why didn't the assigned categories transfer with each contact?

Sorry this didn't help.

1.Export Contact .PST file to SD card, import into Outlook 2010

What did you do wrong? Everything. A modicum of research would have shown you the correct way to transfer Outlook data - the import/export function is meant to be used to transfer Outlook data to and from third-party applications such as Excel.

Firstly, if your Outlook data on the other machine was not an Exchange mailbox then it already WAS in a pst file. No need to export at all, and in fact exporting to a pst file from a pst file that's open quite usually loses data.

Secondly importing a pst file also normally causes problems. There's no need to import either, just OPEN the file in Outlook.

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1.  Custom Forms
2.  Custom Views
3.  Connections between contacts and activities
4.  Received dates on mail
5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6.  Journal connections
7.  Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

Here are some links that will tell you how to migrate Outlook data from one machine to another:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

There is out-dated information on some of these pages, specifically with regard to Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010

The main points to note:
1. Do NOT use the import/export function to move Outlook data from one version to another - all you need to do is to copy the pst file, with Outlook closed.

2. Do NOT paste the copied pst file into the default location - paste into (for example) your Documents folder and then do File-Open-Outlook Data File within Outlook.

Another link to help:

http://gordonburgessparker.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/how-to-backup-and-restore-outlook-data-or-move-outlook-data-from-one-instance-to-another-or-from-a-prior-version-to-a-newer-version/

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem.  It started with Outlook data file not opening, I ran SCAN PST and it repaired it, created a bak and log file.  When I try to add it to Data Files in Outlook I get the error message that it is not a data file.

This issue has been ongoing since 9/18/2013, so today I ran Scan PST on the original pst file again and it came up as having no errors.

So I tried to add it as a data file again from Control Panel ~ Mail (32 bit) and then point it to the home directory ~ where the pst file resides and I still get the error that it is not a data file.

I also did a Repair to office 2010 just in case that was having a problem.  So far nothin I do seems to be able to restore this PST file.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Debbie

Sorry this didn't help.