• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

BUG? Outlook 2010 - Search not working (with some Windows 7 machines)

CR-Nemesis asked on
In some Win7 systems, the Outlook 2010 search capability does not work.Processes used:  http://support.microsoft.com/ , http://support.microsoft.com/ or rebuild indexes or new profile or Office repair or Office Reinstallation.
They did not work
What I am doing as workaround is: removing Outlook from the indexing options and in that way Outlook use the search capabilities built in (more slow, but at least I could search emails). 
In some cases I re installed everything (OS, apps, etc) and that solve the issue, but I could not trace what is causing the problem (no errors, or events)

Seems like the issue is caused by the Windows Search component but it is reflected in Ms Outlook since the Outlook search worked fine.
Anybody know a real solution for this issue?

22 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
CR-Nemesis replied on

1. If you do this: Open Outlook click on File Options > Search > Indexing options > Modify > Uncheck Outlook
    Click on OK then close and restart Outlook to check if search results fetch correctly.

What you are using is the Outlook search that is not the Windows Search of Win7. In my case I already tried that.

2. the registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" does not exist on Win7 so this did not work.

3. And for the rest of the recommendations, believe I made a good research before post this, they did not work. And something to remark I do not believe that we need to rebuilt a system in order to fix an issue, since this is happening in several machines. I truly believe that someone of Microsoft should step in and take ownership of this issue, since as you could read there are several threads withe the same situation without a real solution to this bug.
The problem is not the Outlook Search is the combination of Windows Search and Outlook 2010 something is not working properly. (In some cases)

Regards.

38 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress