Office 2010 Will Not Load Help Files

This is a new install of Office 2010.  Whenever I try to start the help system in any of the Office applications (F1 Key or Help ? icon), Office opens the Configuration Progress window, which runs for a few minutes.  I am then presented with a dialog box asking me to restart the machine.  (In the background, I can see the Office Help window, but it is blank.)  If I click Restart, all windows close immediately, the system shutdowns, and restarts.

After rebooting and opening an Office application, when I call the Help system, the same routine starts again--Configuration Progress window, empty Help window, diaglog box requesting restart, reboot, etc.

Basically, I have no Help system in Office 2010.

I have tried Office 2010 Repair to no avail.  I have uninstalled Office 2010 and reinstalled it.  Nothing works.  I can see the Office 2010 help files in the Mircosoft Office folder on my hard drive.  So I know they are there, but I cannot get any Office application to load the files and display them.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 16,371 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I have fixed the Office 2010 Help system on my computer (Vista SP2). I am not exactly sure how I did it because I have scrubbed my Registry about a dozen times, repaired the Office 2010 installation several times, and uninstalled-reinstalled Office 2010 more times than I can count.

However, I will say my success is likely related to the scant information given by TonyAus, above. I searched my hard drive for any folder named “Microsoft Help” and deleted those folders. I found two or three of them under various user names. One of the folders definitely had old Office files in it (Office 12 instead of Office 14.) Another folder had a mix of Office 12 and Office 14 files in it!

1.      I deleted all Microsoft Help folders from the machine;

2.      I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2010;

3.      I cleaned the Registry using Mace Software’s Registry Cleaner in aggressive mode;

4.      I installed Office 2010 and activated the product via the Internet.

The Office 2010 Help system works properly now.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.