Office 2010 and Office 365

Hi All,

I've been referred here by a Microsoft support person from the Office 365 forum.

I was chatting online to a Microsoft representative at the end of March who said that with an Office 365 subscription you could install Office 2010 instead of 2013. On the basis of this advice a small business went with Office 365 - the supplier of one of their main LOB applications isn't supporting 2013 until October.

However Office 2010 is no longer provided with new subscriptions to 2013. Does anyone know if earlier versions of Office are provided anywhere which can be set to get their licence from Office 365?

Many thanks.

Rob/

Yes, I understand you can associate 365 with Office 2010. MS no longer sells 2010. Some volume/site licenses allow you do "downgrade" to 2010. I don't know if they would allow it for newly purchased site licenses or if the downgrade right is limited to existing contracts.

Some vendors have "old stock" Office 2010 they are still selling. Be careful of who you give your money to online. Investigate their history, has the store existed long, have they owned the web site for long, any better business bureau complaints etc.  The only online store I have heard offering 2010 is Amazon. Apparently they are charging more than list price because the demand is high.

Here are instructions on how to associate 365 licenses with Office 2010:
2012 06 27 - Get started with Office 365 - Connect 365 to local install - associate 365 - link 365

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-ca/office365-smallbusinesses/gg584196.aspx

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-ca/office365-smallbusinesses/ff637537.aspx 

If you have Office 2010 or Office 2007 on your computer, you can use it with Office 365. If you use a Mac, and you have Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 or a later version, or Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.9 Update or a later version, you can use it with Office 365 also.

If your company has bought Office Professional Plus with Office 365, you can download this latest version of Office from the Office 365 Downloads page. Otherwise, if you already have Office 2010 or Office 2007 on your computer, you can set it up to work with Office 365. Versions of Office that are earlier than Office 2007 cannot connect to Office 365.

You can also install Lync (or Lync for Mac 2011 if you use a Mac) and use it for instant messaging, online meetings, sharing your desktop, and other tasks.

<snip  http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-ca/office365-smallbusinesses/gg584196.aspx >

Set up the version of Office that you already have to work with Office 365

You can set up Office 2010 and Office 2007 to connect to Office 365. An online tool that you can run from the Downloads page does most of the work for you.

Set up your desktop for Office 365 (steps 4 through 6)

</snip>

On the linked page it says:

<snip http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-ca/office365-smallbusinesses/ff637537.aspx >

1.      Under Set up and configure your Office desktop apps, click Set up. The Microsoft Office 365 desktop setup tool starts.

2.      Sign in using your user ID.

Office 365 desktop setup will check your system configuration. If the scan completes without detecting any problems, you’ll be presented with options to configure your desktop applications and learn more about the important updates Office 365 desktop setup will install. If a problem is detected, see Troubleshoot update and configuration issues for Office 365 for more information.

3.      After you have selected the applications you want to configure, click Continue, review the service agreements, and then click I accept to begin installing updates and configuring desktop applications.

Important:

Some of the applications may have shaded check boxes. This can occur if your account has not been provisioned to use this application with Office 365 or if you do not have the required applications already installed on your computer.

4.      When the installation and configuration have completed, you may have to restart your computer to finalize the installation and configuration processes.

After running Office 365 desktop setup, a shortcut to the Office 365 portal will be added to the Start menu on your desktop.

</snip>

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Many thanks for your detailed and very quick response, Rohn007.

I have already tried most of the steps above - other than purchasing a whole second set of licences Office 2010. The existing setup had been built up piecemeal, and was all on 2003, so we can't even use those.

It's annoying as the only reason they're in this mess is because a guy from Microsoft said that you could do this with Office 365.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rohn007,

Could you clarify the above?

I am happy about setting up and using an existing Office 2010 installation with Office 365, but can you transfer the 365 license to cover the existing installation?  And does the above process replacing the licensing information held by the existing installation?

To put in context, our 2010 volume license is expiring and 365 looks promising for the exchange support, and keeping our existing software would cause less implementation issues with applications/users.

Andy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Specifically what do you want clarified?

I don't know the terms of your 2010 volume license, but I would guess that when it expires you will no longer have the right to use the software (I could be wrong about that).

If your new 365 license includes the "SA", Software Assurance, feature it generally includes "downgrade" rights to use the earlier (2010) version.

Here is a link to the current (I think) documentation for Office 2010 Downgrade rights (I haven't found the 2013 documentation yet):
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/downgrade-rights.aspx
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is meant by the statement that office 2010 does not "support subscription to office 2013"?

With office 2010 installed may I simply delete office 365  that was installed when I bought a new lap top?

and have access to ,Word 2010?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is meant by the statement that office 2010 does not "support subscription to office 2013"?

With office 2010 installed may I simply delete office 365  that was installed when I bought a new lap top?

and have access to ,Word 2010?

I need a reply to my question before making an assessment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(FYI: there is often a delay between a reply is posted and when we receive it and ultimately reply to it. Most of us are unpaid volunteers, doing this in our "free" time.)

Back to your question I don't see a reference to the specific quote you cited. 

Having a factory installed free trial (of any version) and a user owned and installed version of Office WILL cause activation problems.

If your computer does have a factory installed Office 365 "free trial", then yes you MUST "uninstall" it, not just simply "delete" it.  I have to make the distinction between "uninstall" and "delete" to make sure we are talking about the same thing. 

After uninstalling 365 you MUST also do an Office Repair of your 2010 installation.

Then you should be able to activate your copy of 2010.

UNINSTALL OFFICE 2016 / Uninstall 2013 / 365

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-201  3-Office-2016-or-Office-365-from-a-Windows-computer-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8 Office 2016 / 2013, and Office 365

Repair Office 2010 / 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1 Repair Office

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-or-remove-Microsoft-Office-2010-suites-90635a1d-aec8-4653-b358-67e1b766fc4d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US Repair uninstall Office 2010

Does that answer your concern?

Good luck.

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some context:

You used to be able to download and use Office 2010 with an Office 365 subscription. By the time we'd bought the subscription and activated it, these rights had been removed and you had to use Office 2013.

There is currently a similar situation (as I understand it). With Office 365 (one of the editions with the rights to download) you can either use Office 2013 or 2016. At some point in January next year you will no longer be able to use Office 2013, only Office 2016.

If you have media and licence for Office 2010, you should have no worries, just uninstall (definitely uninstall, not delete) Office 365 and install Office 2010 from your media.

Regards,

Rob.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 9,808 Applies to: