Office 2010 activation fails after SP2 with error 0x80070190

Windows 7 Pro, Office 2010 Pro Plus

I put Office 2010 SP2 on three identically configured machines this morning.  Two of them had previously had Office 2010 activated, the third had not yet been activated.  After SP2 was installed, the two machines with previously-activated versions of Office 2010 continue to work correctly;  the third machine demands that I activate Office - the process appears to run, but then fails with error code 0x80070190.

An initial call to Support yielded a request for me to install Hotfix for Windows KB947821.  That installed correctly, but did not fix the problem.  Before I call back, I thought I would put something out here to see if others have come across this problem.

A Google search on the error code keeps coming up with information implying that this may be related to a Beta status in Office 2010.  Is it possible that today's release of SP2 was not final code?

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2019 Views 181,914 Applies to:
Answer
Aha!

I tried using the cscript cmd line process described elsewhere in this thread, and got a new error:

Last 5 characters of installed product key: XXXXX (they matched my MAK key, so the correct product key is already in place)
ERROR CODE: 0xC004F025
ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the action requires administrator privilege.

So apparently UAC is getting in the way. 

I found this thread:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8f2a5c3e-4e33-4fdb-8eb2-760dbeca0713/error0xc004f025-access-denied-the-requested-action-requires-elevated-priviliges

which led me to this post:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2168/windows-7-how-to-open-elevated-command-prompt-with-administrator-privileges.htm

Which FIXED THE PROBLEM!

----------------------------
The remaining question is, Why is UAC suddenly putting itself in charge of activation *after* SP2 when it did not appear to get involved previously?  I made no changes to UAC on any of the machines where SP2 was installed;  I try to avoid touching UAC as much as possible.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.