Microsoft Windows Update failed Error Code: 0xB56 for Office 2010 Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office

Running Windows XP fully updated.  Office 2010 also fully updated.  During a regular automatic update, Microsoft Windows Update failed Error Code: 0xB56 for Office 2010 Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455).  I could not find Error Code 0xb56 anywhere.  The error repeated on trying to update again.  I had also selected for update a very old Intel Express chipset drive update (which I had chosen to ignore around 2005!).  The Intel update installed once then automatically tried again and failed. 

I used System Restore to revert to an earlier position but the Office update failed again. 

I again System Restore'd, then repaired Office using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs tool, the repeated the Windows Update (without the Intel chipset update).  This time, success! 

I suspect the Intel driver update failure was behind this but I also confess to having used Windows Installer Cleanup (from http://www.kztechs.com/wicleanup/ from a lead elsewhere in answers.microsoft.com) to remove some big "junk" files from C:\windows\installer in the middle of all this, so I'm not sure exactly what caused the error.  In any case, I found a way out of the apparently undocumented Error Code: 0xB56 so thought it appropriate to share. 

Discussion Info

Last updated December 28, 2018 Views 1,637 Applies to:

I too had this problem and could not find any solution when I searched the appropriate web pages.

I did manage to solve it though.

My original installation was without SP1 which had been added by Windows Update.

I used a 2010 plus SP1 version and ran the .exe when it came to the question of what was needed I selected Repair.

After this was complete I then retried the Windows Update to update to SP2. This worked.

Now I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Professional Plus but the same techniques may work for you

Try the repair option from the installation or file.

Alan Cameron