Microsoft Windows Update failed Error Code: 0xB56 for Office 2010 Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office

Running Windows XP fully updated.  Office 2010 also fully updated.  During a regular automatic update, Microsoft Windows Update failed Error Code: 0xB56 for Office 2010 Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455).  I could not find Error Code 0xb56 anywhere.  The error repeated on trying to update again.  I had also selected for update a very old Intel Express chipset drive update (which I had chosen to ignore around 2005!).  The Intel update installed once then automatically tried again and failed. 

I used System Restore to revert to an earlier position but the Office update failed again. 

I again System Restore'd, then repaired Office using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs tool, the repeated the Windows Update (without the Intel chipset update).  This time, success! 

I suspect the Intel driver update failure was behind this but I also confess to having used Windows Installer Cleanup (from http://www.kztechs.com/wicleanup/ from a lead elsewhere in answers.microsoft.com) to remove some big "junk" files from C:\windows\installer in the middle of all this, so I'm not sure exactly what caused the error.  In any case, I found a way out of the apparently undocumented Error Code: 0xB56 so thought it appropriate to share. 

I too had this problem and could not find any solution when I searched the appropriate web pages.

I did manage to solve it though.

My original installation was without SP1 which had been added by Windows Update.

I used a 2010 plus SP1 version and ran the .exe when it came to the question of what was needed I selected Repair.

After this was complete I then retried the Windows Update to update to SP2. This worked.

Now I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Professional Plus but the same techniques may work for you

Try the repair option from the installation or file.

Alan Cameron

Discussion Info

Last updated May 19, 2020 Views 1,773 Applies to: