error "The content is not a allowed in your region"" for Texas??

when trying to download the MS download manager pops up and says "The content is not a allowed in your region .... I am in Texas!  I have no idea why this happened, can you please assist?
Answer
Answer
I thought all y'all Texans denied being part of the US ... <grin>

“contents are not allowed in your region” /  "US Trade Restrictions"

The US government says that MS cannot sell or download the full versions of Office in certain countries. The encryption used in it is considered a "munition".  Obviously it doesn't apply to you ...

<snip from MSLT>

GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTIONS. If the software is marked as requiring activation in a specific geographic region, then you are only permitted to activate this software in the geographic region indicated on the software packaging. You may not be able to activate the software outside of that region. For further information on geographic restrictions, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=141397.

EXPORT RESTRICTIONS.  The software is subject to United States export laws and regulations.  You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software.  These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use.  For additional information, see www.microsoft.com/exporting.

</snip>

The download site thinks you are currently located in one of those restricted locations. The download site uses a "who am I" service to determine your location based on your IP address. Sometimes the "who am I" service gets it wrong.  For example, the first time I saw this question I tried 4 "who am I" services. 2 had me located properly, 2 displaced me by 2000 miles and an international border, Oops.

What can you do:

• When doing the download, make sure to SAVE to HD rather than Run the installation concurrent with the download
  • Make sure the page is pointing to the right country. Look in the Upper right or lower left corner to see what the country is. There are “region specific” downloads
  • perform your download from a location that uses a different Service Provider, say a friend's house or work.  Install and activate there also!
  • Try a different download site / link
  • try to contact the download site, probably not. MS does not provide user support for trials
  • contact your Internet Provider to see if they can talk to MS to find out which "who am I" they are using so that your Provider can contact them to get their database fixed.  Maybe, but your Provider probably isn't too concerned about the error. <sigh>

·         Please let us know which, if any (or even none!), of these suggestions worked for you. Thanks.

·          

Geographically Restricted Microsoft Software

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/geoinfo.aspx

Microsoft offers additional versions of Windows and Office to meet regional requirements. These versions are restricted for sale, activation, and use only in the geographical locations for which they were intended. These restrictions are clearly indicated on the product packaging as shown on this page. Learn how to identify specific anti-counterfeiting features of genuine Microsoft media and packaging.

Having difficulty activating geographically restricted Windows and/or Office online?

Find instructions for offline activation for different versions of Windows and Office in the Microsoft Help and Support Center article (KB 950929). If you don’t see the product you are looking for, select “Click here to view or hide detailed information” in Step 1 of the “More Information” section.

Win8 Not Available for Download or Purchase in Your Country or Region

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-not-available-for-download-or-purchase-in-your-country-or-region/

Check out following steps to fix the problem:

1. Windows 8 upgrade offer is available in selected countries and regions by Microsoft, so first make sure your country or region is available for the upgrade offer by visiting following official terms and conditions page given at Microsoft website: Terms and conditions for Windows 8 Pro online upgrade

2. If your country or region is present in the given list but you are still receiving the error message, following trick will help you in removing the error message:

2.a. First close upgrade assistant if it is running and then go to the folder which contains upgrade assistant's EXE file.

2.b. Now right-click on EXE file and select Properties.

2.c. Go to Compatibility tab and enable "Run this program in compatibility mode for" option. Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" from the drop-down box.

2.d. Apply the changes and run upgrade assistant again.

Now you'll no longer receive the error message and you'll be able to purchase or download Windows 8 from Microsoft. Checked and confirmed...

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 451 Applies to: