Windows installed updates and now downloaded Excel files open blank doc

Last night, my computer installed an update:  Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB3115322) 32-Bit Edition.  I am currently running Windows 7.

This morning, I tried downloading some information from my payroll software provider and the Excel document opened with a blank screen.  All Excel files from them this morning appear the same way (including the ones I was able to open a couple of days ago with no issues).  I can open existing files from my cloud based storage and from my hard drive with no problems.

I tried all of the solutions provided at this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2994633 and none of those helped.  Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) was not and currently is not checked.  If anyone can help me, I'd really be appreciative.  Thanks! 

|
Are you downloading/save, then open within Excel, or are you download/run?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue happened with both download/save and download/run.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE:  I decided to reach out to the payroll company to see if they had any suggestions.  My contact thinks it's a compatibility issue.  He said "I have been seeing issues with the base file type of .xlsx the issue is coming with the version of excel that you are using. There are some versions that are not compatible with the format. There was a recent update to the file extension so there are versions that are not compatible."

I've been working with .xlsx files using this same Excel version (2010) successfully for some time...up until today, so I'm not sure if what he's saying makes sense.  He did recommend that I download the files as CSV files instead of Excel files.  While that is inconvenient, it seems to have worked.  Hopefully that's the end of it, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We suggested that as a quick workaround, but the real problem is the KB.

See related issue on another ticket

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/excel-2010-kb3115322-opening-downloaded-files/19b8ab42-d0c4-402d-aa79-ad86e191fcc9

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you - I appreciate your response.  Hopefully they'll be able to do something to correct the KB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2018 Views 117 Applies to: