"Undo" & "Redo" buttons constantly grayed-out in Excel 2010

Recently upgraded to Office 2010 from Office 2003 running on Windows XP.

In Excel 2010 whenever I click outside the cell being edited the "undo" button grays-out and I loose all ability to undo any previous changes.  As long as I don't click outside the cell being edited the undo button is active and will undo any changes...as long as I don't click on another cell.  The second I click on another cell the undo button goes gray and I loose all ability to undo my changes.  I have also tried CTRL+Z to undo and that too is inactive once I click on a new cell.  I had this identical problem with Excel 2003 and was hoping that the upgrade to 2010 whould fix the issue, but apparently it simply carried over to the 2010 version.  I have uninstalled and the reinstalled Office 2010 with no change.  I have checked Access 2010, Word 2010, Outlook 2010 and PowerPoint 2010 and the problem does not occur on those Office 2010 products.

I have looked through all the settings and options in Excel and wasn't able to find any setting that may affect this.  I have also searched for solutions online with little success. 

Any help, tips or ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Answer
Answer

Well, after asking around at work I finally found the answer to my problem with the "undo" and "redo" no longer working in Excel.  Apparently the registry entry which determines the number of undo steps for Excel had somehow gotten changed to zero.

The below link explains how to correct the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211922

53 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 80,216 Applies to: