Work anywhere from any device with Microsoft 365

Upgrade to Microsoft 365 to work anywhere with the latest features and updates.

Upgrade now

Open each spreadsheet in a new instance of Excel 2010

How do I configure Excel to open a new instance of Excel each time I open an existing spreadsheet.  I am sure I have done this once but I think network settings have removed this functionality.  I am using Office 2010 on Vista.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2020 Views 481,013 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

To resolve this, go to 'excel options' > click on the 'advanced' tab > scroll down to general > check the ignore other applications that use 'Dyanamic Data Exchange (DDE)'

excel 2007

615 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

This is a reply by Brian Tilman to a similar problem with 2007. I anticipate it will work with 2010 as well:

Open Windows Explorer and click Tools>Folder Options>File Types.  Locate the XLSX file type and select it.  Click Advanced.  In the Actions pane, select Open and click Edit.  Record what you see in the "Application used to perform action" and "DDE Message" fields because you'll need it if you ever want to restore the current behavior.

Remove the "/dde" from the end of the string in the "Application used..." field and insert "%1", being sure to include the quotes as well.  Uncheck the "Use DDE" box.  Click OK.  Uncheck "Browse in same window" if you want Internet Explorer to open a spreadsheet in an Excel window instead of a browser window.  Click OK, then OK.  Double-clicking a worksheet should now create a separate Excel window.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

139 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.