MS office 2010 Excel with Windows 7 professional crashes when opening existing files that run perfectly well on a machine running VISTA and MS office 2010

I started a tax consulting business and bought a Dell VOSTRO 3400 with Intel i3 chip set and 4GB of RAM with Windows 7 professional 32 bit and MS office 2010 preinstalled. When I try to open existing excel files they crash almost immediately and can not be used on the machine. These same files were file on my old work machine running XP and office excel 2007 and they are fine on the client's machines, other advisors machines, and fortunately my wife's older machine running Vista and MS office 2010 with much less RAM. Dell tech support have tried everything hardware related (I even have a new machine) but the problem is the same on that machine. Even new files from the client do the same thing...just crash and stop Excel working, often while opening but if not then soon after. This problem is fundamental to my business. Searching through various forums it seems Excel does have compatibility issues with Windows 7 but nothing I've read is as extreme as i seem to be experiencing. I need help desperately.
Answer
Answer

You can solve this problem by checking your Language setting/Country settings in Windows 7.

This is what is causing the crashes !!

I like to work with "komma," as decimal seperator but my Country and Language was set to English (UK) which uses the opposite...therefor I customised the comma and full stop to the opposite. Crashes all over. Especially when formatting cells...

Now I choose Belgium as country and language but UK as keyboard layout.

Next thing what happened: ALL MY EXCEL FILES are BACK !! NO MORE CRASHES.

Check your country and language settings and feel the joy.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 22, 2020 Views 13,510 Applies to: