Excel corruption "Excel found unreadable content...", Removed Feature: View from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part

Problem:

User saves an Excel file, and receives the following error (corrupt file) on opening:

Excel found unreadable content in 'FILENAME.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.

Clicking Yes generates:

Removed Feature: View from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part

Log file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">

<logFileName>error102200_05.xml</logFileName>

<summary>Errors were detected in file 'FILENAME.xlsx'</summary>

<removedFeatures summary="Following is a list of removed features:">

<removedFeature>Removed Feature: View from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part</removedFeature></removedFeatures></recoveryLog>

Note:

The sheet number refers to the codename of the affected sheet. (can be revealed by renaming the file ending .zip and using a zip-extractor to look into /xl/worksheets/)

Repairing causes:

Gridlines reappear on the affected sheet (if they were originally hidden) and frozen panes are removed.

Cause:

After much pain and suffering, I have identified a cause that generates this error. It is easily reproducible.

1. Freeze some top rows using freeze panes, e.g. rows 1:6.

2. Move to the bottom of the sheet (using CTRL+down)

3. Use the mouse to scroll down so that you see less rows below the frozen pane than in the frozen pane itself (e.g. show 5 or less rows if you have frozen 6 rows)

4. Save and close the file

5. Open the file and voilá, it is corrupt.

Spreadsheet users may accidentally generate this error especially if the bottom rows are hidden and they use the mouse to scroll down.

The same also happens with frozen columns and moving to the right. 

Cause in the code:

Using a text difference editor, I was able to pinpoint the problem.

Not corrupt file:

<sheetView showGridLines="0" zoomScaleNormal="100" workbookViewId="0"><pane ySplit="6" topLeftCell="A7" activePane="bottomLeft" state="frozen"/><selection pane="bottomLeft" activeCell="D34" sqref="D34"/>

Corrupt file:

<sheetView showGridLines="0" zoomScaleNormal="100" workbookViewId="0"><pane ySplit="6" topLeftCell="A1048576" activePane="bottomLeft" state="frozen"/><selection pane="bottomLeft" activeCell="D34" sqref="D34"/>

The topLeftCell property of the frozen panes in the corrupt file refers to the last cell in column A, which means that the bottomLeft -property does not have anything to refer to because there is nothing below A1048576

Solution:

This is a bug in Excel 2010. I don't know of any workaround other than not using freeze panes. The probability of causing the bug is reduced by not hiding the bottom rows (or rightmost columns) of the sheet, because it is unlikely that the user will accidentally scroll to the end of the sheet with the mouse if there are thousands of rows/columns.

This problem appears to have been solved in Excel 2013.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2019 Views 36,110 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is there any fix for Office 2010?

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I NEED HELP I CANNOT OPEN MY EXCEL AND OTHER IMPORTANT FILES.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

THERE IS A NOTE S, STATED THAT I HAVE TO REPAIR IN CONTROL PANEL. I NEED HELP I DO NOT KNOW THIS AREA.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That option doesn't work for MS Office 2010.

Sorry this didn't help.

I see the same issue in Office 2013 as well.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue in 2013. You would think that MS would have realized it by now and fixed it. Its not really an issue as far as causing any downtime, its more of an annoyance really.

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently encountered this exact issue with one of my excel files after adding some enhancements. After finding this thread I discovered the problem but was also able to find a solution. Well at least it worked for me so I'd like to share. 

It was definitely the freeze panes and hide rows related. I discovered it was the method i used to freeze the panes and hide rows (I.e being in page layout view and changing multiple sheets and/or selecting multiple sheets to do this). Without going into the specifics of my order, all I did was unhide the rows for the affected sheets (noted in the error log) resave the file under a new name (will automatically prompt you after you unhide the rows and save). I then reopened the new file and hide the rows I originally wanted hidden and were causing the errors (doing this for individual sheets) and voila!...the error message was gone plus I still keep my original formatting. 

I hope that helps and you can make the message go away when you open your file!

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, I have a few spreadsheets that seem to have this problem lately.  I am using Excel 2016.  I found that if I unfreeze the top rows and save the file, I am good.  I can even go back and freeze the rows again and it is not corrupt.  (At least not yet.)  Maybe after some more work in the file it will become corrupt again.

I have another file that this solution does not work because there are no frozen rows or columns.  And there are no hidden cells in the entire spreadsheet.  I'm not sure what to do about this one because every time I format the output by setting the margins, scale, orientation, paper size, etc. it will not save those settings.  In fact, if I open the file and only change cell information it will allow me to save and reopen without corruption.  But, if I go into the spreadsheet and just change one print setting and save, it will be corrupt the next time I open it.

This is a big annoyance and time waste because I need to open, make a quick modification and print this spreadsheet all the time.  Because the print settings do not save, it wastes my time having to reset the settings for each sheet and there are multiple sheets in the workbook.

Any ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a software programmer and I found that when I was setting the named range's in code that if there was a space in the named range i would get this error. I picked up on the problem because I converted my xlsx file to a zip file. I had a look at the worksheet.xml file before it was corrected and i could see that one of my named ranges had a space in the name. I removed the space and it corrected the issue. I hope this helps you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue only it's when I Set Print Area.  Then the file after being saved will get "corrupted" with that same message "Removed Feature: Worksheet properties from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part".

The trick is we have about 7 Lenovo's in the finance office of our company and 2 of them have this issue.  I've even purchased another exact model computer and built it and it still had the same issue after installing Office 365.  I wish there was a feedback page where people can report bugs.  Apple has one called apple.com/feedback.  We need to let the Microsoft developers know because this isn't user fixable.  

Sorry this didn't help.