Excel 2010 "Not enough resources"

I just installed office 2010 on a new computer with an i7 processor, 16 GB of ram, and Win 7 Pro.  My wife has an excel file that she uses for work that has links to an external file, and uses SUMPRODUCT.  It's very slow on her work laptop, so we decided to try it out on my new computer. 

When I open the file, I immediately get an error saying there are not enough resources to calculate some of the formulas.  I can't figure out what the problem is.  The file calculates on my wife's laptop which is old and slow.  How could there not be enough resources on my computer?

When I check the resource manager, I see that excel is using about 995MB of RAM.  Is it possible that it is somehow being limited to 1GB?  I can;t find a way to check.

Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2019 Views 13,247 Applies to:

Does the issue occur while working on a specific Workbook or any Excel file?

Make sure Office 2010 SP1 is installed along with all the updates available till date.

Open Excel in application safe mode and verify the results.

To do that, close Excel. Go to Start, click on All Programs and Accessories and then Run. In the open box type in ‘Excel /safe’ and hit ok. (Note: There is a space between Excel and /).

If Excel works in the safe mode, try the following and check:

Method 1:

Disable the Add-ins in Excel and check. Refer to the following link to access the Add-ins tab:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/add-or-remove-add-ins-HP010342658.aspx

Method 2:

You may also empty the Excel startup folder and check if it helps. Go to the following locations on the computer then delete all the contents for the specified folders:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\STARTUP

Note: Ensure to take a back-up of these folders before deleting its content.

If issue still persists, repair Office 2010 installation and then check if you are able to work on the Excel file. 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response and suggestions.

Yes, this occurs only on a specific excel file.  However, this is a brand new computer, and I just installed Office a couple days ago.  I've only had a couple other excel files open.  They worked fine, but also are much less calculation heavy.

Here's a little more info in case it helps:
The one that is giving me trouble (call it file A) has some SUMPRODUCT equations that have external references in them to another excel file (call it file B).  When opening these two files on my wife's work laptop, it takes a minute or so for it to calculate the equations in file A.

When I open them on my computer, file B opens fine.  Then when I open file A, down in the status bar it says it's calculating (8 processors) and the percentage start increasing.  It gets to difference percentages each time I try it.  Then I get the error.  Here's the full text: "Excel ran out of resources while attempting to calculate one or more formulas.  As a result, these formulas cannot be evaluated."  I hit Ok, and it starts calculating again, then gives the same error.  I hit OK again, and the workbook is now open, but I can't calculate.

I tried your suggestions, and here's what happened:
Safe mode - I opened excel in safe mode and tried opening the two files.  Same result.

Add-ons - I checked the add-ons, by following the instructions in the link to inactivate them.  There were 4 add-ons, and all were already inactive.  Just out of curiosity, I tried activating them to see if that would make a difference.  It didn't.  But then when I went to inactivate them again, they still showed as being inactive.  Not sure why activating didn't stick.

Startup folder - I checked the startup folder, and it was empty already.  One difference is that mine was in Program Files(x86) since I have the 32-bit version of office installed.

Repair - I ran the repair option on Office, and tried opening the files again.  I get the same error.

Does it make a difference that I have 32-bit version installed?  I didn't really notice the option to install 64-bit.  But I Googled it, and it looks like I would have had to explicitly tell it to install 64-bit.  Is there any reason not to uninstall office, and reinstall the 64-bit version?

Also, I have the OS and programs installed on an 80GB partition on a 500GB drive.  I did this so I can backup the OS and programs to an 80GB drive that I took out of my old computer.  I don't know if this could have anything to do with the issue, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Any other ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

if you are trying open the files from an external drive, then move them on the local hard drive and then open them. Also copy both files to the same location on your new computer. right-click on each one of them one at a time and go to properties, if an Unblock button is available click on it and then click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

If you find my answer helpful, please mark it as Answer:)

Sorry this didn't help.

Both files are in the same folder on the main drive. 

I right clicked on each and don;t see an option for "Unblock".  The only options for checking boxes are "Read-only" and "Hidden" (both unchecked).

I'm really stumped by this one.  I don't see what could possibly be causing this...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

SUMPRODUCT calculates very intensive especially when you declare entire row like SUMPRODUCT(A:A), instead that you can assign range SUMPRODUCT(A1:A1000).

Please post your RAW DATA and SUMPRODUCT formula, and some expected results. Maybe we can suggest alternate formula after seeing those....

Thanks,

~jaeson

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I know it is very intensive.  I'm not trying to figure out how to make it faster, I'm trying to figure out why these two particular spreadsheets will open and calculate on an old laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor and 3 GB of RAM, but will not calculate on a brand new desktop with an i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM. 

Right now I do not want to change anything in the spreadsheet.  I just want to know why I get there error telling me I don't have enough resources when a significantly less powerful laptop can handle it.

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you check if Office SP1 is installed on the computer as mentioned in the earlier post?

Since you are able to open the Excel file on the other computer, try reducing the Zoom to less than 90% in the file and transfer the same file on to the problem computer and then try opening to check.

You may also try resaving the file in a different name on the other computer and then transfer the same on the problem computer and see if you are able to open it.

If issue persists, set calculations to Manual and verify the results. To do that, do the following:

Click on File, Options and then click on Formulas. In the Calculation options click to select Manual and then click on Ok.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I know it is very intensive.  I'm not trying to figure out how to make it faster, I'm trying to figure out why these two particular spreadsheets will open and calculate on an old laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor and 3 GB of RAM, but will not calculate on a brand new desktop with an i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM. 

Right now I do not want to change anything in the spreadsheet.  I just want to know why I get there error telling me I don't have enough resources when a significantly less powerful laptop can handle it.

Chris
Chris,

did you ever get to the bottom of this.  I have a very similar problem and have gone through restoring to factory settings, re-installing Office 2010 (ps. it was same problem with 2007) and still I get the ranout resources messages when the file(s) worked OK an a much lower spec machine.

It is so annoying and time consuming

Sorry this didn't help.

This proved to be the solution for me.

First I recalculated each sheet until I located the offending work sheet.

I had a column full of very complex formulas on the offending worksheet.

I was able to isolate the offending cell by placing a space before the = of each cells down the column then pressing f9 until the error message no longer appeared.  

Using find and replace I quickly replaced <space>= with = above the offending cell.  

I then went to work on the formula in the offending cell.

The offending code was in an inventory calculation.
SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(DIARY!A:A,5)="Shop ")*(RIGHT(DIARY!A:A,2)=" 1")*(DIARY!E:E>0))-SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(DIARY!A:A,4)="Shop MV")*(RIGHT(DIARY!A:A,2)=" 1")*(DIARY!E:E>0))

Solution:
SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(DIARY!A$2:A$7000,5)="Shop ")*(RIGHT(DIARY!A$2:A$7000,2)=" 1")*(DIARY!E$2:E$7000>0))-SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(DIARY!A$2:A$7000,4)="Shop MV")*(RIGHT(DIARY!A$2:A$7000,2)=" 1")*(DIARY!E$2:E$7000>0))

Problem solved.  Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.