Excel 2010 Drop-Down disappears when file is saved/reopened

I have a workbook created in Excel 2010.  I used Data Validation to create a drop-down list in a cell that uses a different column of data for the list of values.  I selected  "List" in data validation and made sure that "in cell drop-down" is selected.  the Drop Down list works fine while I have the spreadsheet open.  For business purposes, I need to protect both the worksheet and workbook structure but the drop-down cells are unlocked and not hidden.  The source data is both locked and hidden.  Everything works fine until I save and close the workbook and then reopen it.  The drop-down arrow still appears but the list does not pop up when the cell/arrow is selected.  When I select "Data Validation" again, it says it allows "Any Value".  That is, the validation is gone.

I know in excel 2007 there was an issue with frozen panes using drop downs.  i have no frozen panes.  the cell DOES, however, have a name applied to it so it can be referenced by name in other places in the workbook.  But other drop-downs without names also have the same problem.

Please help.  I am really under the gun to get this working and will be completely stuck without these data validation fields.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2018 Views 126,246 Applies to:
Answer

Hi, I have been having the same problem.  I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.

212 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Opened workbook by filename 'TEST.xlsx'.

Entered an sample list of names in Sheet2 A1:A10

Selected cell A1 in sheet1> data tab> datavalidation> list> source =Sheet2!A1:A10 (Check in cell drop down)>ok

Sheet1 A1>Format cells> protection> uncheck loceked> ok.   Now when sheet1 is active> Protect sheet>ok; protect workbook> ok

I saved an reopened it, it worked . It worked like a charm.

Please provide step by step on how you trying to work on excel file. I am sure some where its problem in the course of data validating:(

Keep Eye on your TIME, Not on your WATCH.
If this response answers your question then please MARK as ANSWER

****Keep Eye on your time not on your watch****

90 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.