Question

Q: Excel 2010 Drop-Down disappears when file is saved/reopened

I have a workbook created in Excel 2010.  I used Data Validation to create a drop-down list in a cell that uses a different column of data for the list of values.  I selected  "List" in data validation and made sure that "in cell drop-down" is selected.  the Drop Down list works fine while I have the spreadsheet open.  For business purposes, I need to protect both the worksheet and workbook structure but the drop-down cells are unlocked and not hidden.  The source data is both locked and hidden.  Everything works fine until I save and close the workbook and then reopen it.  The drop-down arrow still appears but the list does not pop up when the cell/arrow is selected.  When I select "Data Validation" again, it says it allows "Any Value".  That is, the validation is gone.

I know in excel 2007 there was an issue with frozen panes using drop downs.  i have no frozen panes.  the cell DOES, however, have a name applied to it so it can be referenced by name in other places in the workbook.  But other drop-downs without names also have the same problem.

Please help.  I am really under the gun to get this working and will be completely stuck without these data validation fields.

Answer

A:

Hi, I have been having the same problem.  I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.

Did this resolve your issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

129 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

Opened workbook by filename 'TEST.xlsx'.

Entered an sample list of names in Sheet2 A1:A10

Selected cell A1 in sheet1> data tab> datavalidation> list> source =Sheet2!A1:A10 (Check in cell drop down)>ok

Sheet1 A1>Format cells> protection> uncheck loceked> ok.   Now when sheet1 is active> Protect sheet>ok; protect workbook> ok

I saved an reopened it, it worked . It worked like a charm.

Please provide step by step on how you trying to work on excel file. I am sure some where its problem in the course of data validating:(

Keep Eye on your TIME, Not on your WATCH.
****Keep Eye on your time not on your watch****

Did this resolve your issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

79 people were helped by this reply

progress

Question Info

Views: 107253 Last updated: October 19, 2017 Applies to: