After reinstalling Office 2010 Professional, I cannot open an Excel 2010 file that was protected by me stored on an external drive.

I had to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Suite Professional and now I can't open, view, or transfer Excel 2010 files from my external hard drive, with particular emphasis on a protected file whose password I know for it is my file, too!  Excel is not recognized in my computer as the means to open or access those files and I can't change it to it for it only allows Wordpad for some reason. Yet other Excel files are still on my desktop computer and open normally. The only problem is with files on the remote drive. Please advise what I can do to resolve this matter. Only the Excel files on that drive are the problem. The Word documents transfer and open as they should.

What happens when you try to open the excel files, DO you get any error message?

Try saving the few files on the external drive on to the desktop and then try opening the file and check if you are able to open those.

Also try to open the files on any other computer and check if you are able to open it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 77 Applies to: