Access 2010 Data Macros not working at all on Sharepoint 2010

I have been attempting to use a simple 'look up a record in' data macro in the AfterInsert event of a table. It works absolutely fine locally but not when I move it up to Sharepoint as a Web App (not a link).

I tried other data macros and discovered that NONE of them work on Sharepoint which leads me to suppose that something needs configuring/ adding to the Sharepoint Site. Does anyone know what this is likely to be and how it could be checked, the Site is maintained by a third party and it would be a lot quickier to tell them precisely what needs to be done rather than just ask them to investigate the problem.

The macros do actually appear to start as I put a diagnostic message out to USysApplixationLog before attempting the Lookup and that appears in the log, the problems only arise as soon as I try to read or write to any tables.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2018 Views 683 Applies to:

I have still not solved this problem. All works fine in a local Db but no data macros work whatsoever on Sharepoint. My latest findings:

I downloaded the App to a local DB and re-published it to a different area on the Server just to see if that made any difference - still the same error. I have noticed that in the System log the 'Context' field on the 'failed to iterate over table' line shows 'LookupRecord tblBOT_Report, =And.Db(tblBOT_Report.Delivery_Code=tblControl.Delivery_Code,tblBOT_Report.MMYY=tblControl.Period), '
I don't like the look of the ' And.' - is this normal or does it indicate something - I certainly didn't put this in the WHERE clause?

Deadlines are now seriously slipping and there MUST be a simple answer to this problem so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I found this article It talks a lot about data macros. It might be of use to you.
Bill Mosca
ThatllDoIT.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Bill, WHICH article?!

Sorry this didn't help.

Se la risposta ti ha aiutato "Vota Utile".
Se ha risolto il problema "Segna Risposta.
Rome, Italy

Sorry this didn't help.

Mimmo,

Thatnls for this; yes, this is a really good article and I've read and re-read it many times. The problem I'm having is so glaringly simple that I can not any longer see that it is anything like a syntax error it must be something to do with our Sharepoint configuration. I'm currently investigating the possibility of using anothe commercial Site to try out my macro.

Thanks anyway

Sorry this didn't help.

After anonymising my data I have just uploaded my system to my (trial) AccessHosting Sharepoint 2010 Site, attempted to add a record and it all worked beautifully first time - I am at last a much happier chappie but still need to find out exactly what is missing/ not configured correctly on my client's Sharepoint Site. Someone mentioned workflow as a possibility, apparently data macros rely on workflow but I'm not that familiar with Sharepoint and more especially Access Services configuration to know if this is the case.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is till un-unswered and causing me more problems by the day.

The (outsourced) Helpdesk gave me access to a different Server and again I was able to upload my application and again it worked absolutely fine first time. In fact I have now added another named data macro (which also works) and addded to the existing one to look up a record then copy the data from another record to the one it has just added - all great.

So it is now running on two Servers but not my client's production server which is where it really needs to run. There HAS to be a setting somehwere that is either corrupted, incorrect or missing on the production server. We can't easily just re-boot or even re-start IIS as this is a large Multinational with many, many users around the world so before doing anything like that they would have to be very convinced that it would solve the problem rather than just 'turn it off and turn it on again' (I've worked in tech support as well!).

Sorry this didn't help.

At last we have solved the mystery!

Shareopoint Foundation Web Services is often not loaded on application servers as it's generally not used BUT Access Services requires it in order to run data macros -s simple as that. Why Microsoft didn't recognise this immediately is beyond my comprehension but anway at least it has all burst into life.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement from all.

Sorry this didn't help.

At last we have solved the mystery!

Shareopoint Foundation Web Services is often not loaded on application servers as it's generally not used BUT Access Services requires it in order to run data macros -s simple as that. Why Microsoft didn't recognise this immediately is beyond my comprehension but anway at least it has all burst into life.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement from all.

Sorry to drag this up from so long ago. But i have been having the exact same problem with my access database now that I have uploaded it onto the works Sharepoint site. It just won't run a Data Macro.

How you can check if the Sharepoint Foundation Web Services is loaded on the server? and if it is not is there a workaround?

Can you advise

Thanks in advance

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue. Created this gorgeous database only to have the data macros, several combo boxes and a hyperlinked combo box stop working once I uploaded to our sharepoint.

We are new to sharepoint. Any tips on the foundation web services would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.