Text boxes or Frames preferred?

I'm still a little unsure about when to use frames and when to use text boxes (despite Microsoft's help article on this). But for a simple box with text in it, .... ;-)

But which is preferred? My memory may be wrong, but I'm thinking that WAY BACK in Word 97 or so, there were no frames -- only text boxes. Then frames were introduced, and users were encouraged to use (more powerful) frames rather than text boxes. (This may explain why the Format Text Box dialog includes a "Convert to frame" button, but the Frame dialog does not include a "Convert to text box" button.) But now I see "Insert frame" as available only in the Developer ribbon, under "Legacy Forms" ... which suggests to me that frames are on the road to oblivion.

So, in general, are Text Boxes recommended over Frames? (And am I wrong about their history in Word?)

|
Answer
Answer
Frames predate Word 97. At one point page numbers were inserted inside frames making editing difficult.

Text Boxes are preferred for most uses. Frames are generally used in forms to group the formfields.

See responses of others below and my supplement to this below.
Volunteering to "pay forward" to return help I've received in the Microsoft user community.]

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal website: http://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2020 Views 1,479 Applies to: