Quick Access toolbar reverting to default (clearing) after relaunching Word 2007

I customized the Quick Access toolbar in Word 2007 and suddenly it restore to default every time I quit and then relaunch Word. 

The only change that I know of is the IT person installed two ttf fonts that I've been using on a Mac for years, they aren't even in the current documents. 

What can I do to fix this? I'm hesitant to delete my Normal template, as I can't see how that would affect this.

I'm a newbie at Word 2007, so please use small words. Thanks

More info: I can't access my user folder anymore. I have had limited privileges on this computer, but now they seem more limited. Since the Normal template resides deep in the user folder, could that have something to do with this?

There are other issues, nothing to do with Word, such as my Safari application no longer working, etc.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2017 Views 346 Applies to:
Answer

By default, Quick Access Toolbar customizations are stored in the Word.qat file. It seems as if that file is not being saved properly (probably a choice by the administrator).

Have you tried saving your customizations directly to the Normal template? In order to do that, you will have to open Normal as a document, which you can do as follows: In the Open dialog box (Ctrl+O), click the Templates button in the left pane. Locate Normal.dotm, select it, and click Open. In Word Options | Customize, be sure to select "For Normal.dotm" in the "Customize Quick Access Toolbar" drop down. Make sure changes and close the dialog box. Save and close Normal.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
Volunteer Moderator
(MVP program information: https://mvp.microsoft.com/)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.