visio 2010 will not open visio 2007

I am having a problem opening a visio document. I am using visio 2010 an the document was created in vision 2007. The error I am getting is 'An error (124) occurred during the action Open File. The file contains too many objects to convert back to the earlier format. Please simplify it and try again.' The document is not very huge at all.

This sounds like some minor corruption in the file, which is causing Visio 2010 to fail trying to update some of the shapes.

If you have access to a Visio 2007 workstation, try these steps to 'roundtrip' the file and see if that clears the issue:

1. Open the file in Visio 2007, and save it as an xml file (.VDX).

2. Close Visio 2007, and restart (important, do not skip this step).

3. Open the saved xml format file, and save it as a NEW binary type (.VSD) file.

4. Take the new .VSD file to the Visio 2010 workstation and try to open for editing.

> If that works, then you can proceed as normal.

5. If you get the same errors, the next thing to try is to open the .VDX version file saved in step 1 in Visio 2010.

> If that works, go ahead and save this file as .VSD from Visio 2010 and proceed as normal.

Essentially, saving from Visio 2007 to xml format will often 'strip away' problematic information in shapes.  On occasion, the corruption will be logged, and you will see a warning dialog referencing the error log - it's good to keep a copy of this file to review, in case there are very deep problems.

Hope that helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” if this response helps you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Worthless.  Assume I don't have an older version, only Microsoft's most current (2010).  So the new version isn't backwards compatible?  There is no conversion tool? 

John - MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

Sorry this didn't help.

I open them (v2007) using v2010 all of the time. The comment was "This sounds like some minor corruption in the file" which will make any file at any version difficult (if not impossible) to open.

al

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2019 Views 3,175 Applies to: