When saving email messages to a network drive.__getting error “The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. Any Ideas?

Question: If I retry to save as again it will be successful on about the 2 or 3 or 4 attempt. When its fails it creates
A  .tmp file in the folder on the network drive.  I’m saving the messages in Outlook message format.
This issue is with 2 new out of the box Dell PC’s with the following configuration:
Dell PC, Windows 7, Outlook 2007 with SP2., all latest Windows updates.
I have reinstalled Outlook several times does not make a difference, I have created new
Outlook profiles same issue. We do not have an Exchange server, using Outlook with POP3
Accounts. The .pst file is not corrupt, I have ran the scanpst.
I can save the email message to the local C: drive with no issues. The user has full rights to
The network drive in question. We have WinXP, Outlook 2003 PC’s in the same environment
That has no problems saving email message to the network drive.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2019 Views 8,984 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Your post is unclear. Are you trying to save a message in non-Outlook format on a network drive or to an Outlook file on a network drive?

You appear to be unaware that Outlook supports neither, so what you see is what I would expect. Why were you expecting otherwise?

Russ Valentine
Microsoft Community Contributor

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm saving Outlook messages in Outlook format to a Network drive, we have Outlook 2003 with Windows XP running

on all of are workstations on the network and this has never been an issue until we started installing Windows 7 pro

with Outlook 2007 on the Network.

Sorry this didn't help.

So you're saving messages to a network drive in *.msg format with no PST file involved? I'm not aware that that is supported either.
Russ Valentine
Microsoft Community Contributor

Sorry this didn't help.

In which format are you trying to save the emails on the network location?

What type of network environment did you configure (domain or workgroup)?

Ensure Service Pack 2 for Office 2007 is installed on the computer(s) with Outlook 2007.

Windows 7 includes the Network Access Protection (NAP) feature which was introduced from Windows Vista onwards. This feature may prevent access to certain file types or protocols on computers running Windows XP as a security measure.

For issues related to Outlook usage on a networked location you may post your querieshere for better suggestions.

Ruchi Bisht

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Katy:

Here in Spain, having same problem, with W7, Office 2007 sp2 installed, domain DFS for savign the emails and we have exchange 2003.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlookacct/thread/1ea09659-58f0-40aa-82b8-d2dd1b7374bb

Did you realize the .tmp file its the email itself? If you rename it to .msg you get the file right... strange!!

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having the same problem here in SF, CA.  We have Vista machines with Office 2007.  ALL service packs and hotfixes installed.  It is periodic with no rhyme or reason.  When you save to a network location with a email message that has an attachment msg format or html format it will sometimes get the error message "messaging interface has returned an unknown error". If you try again it may work it may not. You could get 5 success'  and then a failure.  Or 4 failures and then a success.  But if you continue to try it will work.  Tried creating new profiles.  Different machines.  For us it seems to occur on Outlook 2007 only.  In Outlook 2003 cannot reproduce the problem.  Tmp files are created on a failure. If anyone finds a solution to this, please post. The reason we would like to save this way is to save certain emails that correspond to a client case in a file share structure for later reference. That way the email message sits with the case files in the file share.  Note:  This does not seem to be a problem with emails that do not have an attachment. Only emails with attachments.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still researching a fix for this issue, using message save as a temp fix but I need a solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Running into the same issue.  I did find a KB that referenced a possible conflict with old version of Adobe (Standard 7 not fully patched) but I removed Adobe to see if that resolved the issue. 

Windows 7, patched to current.  Office 2007 patched to current.  Windows XP machines performing the same tasks with the same emails have no issues.  The odd thing is not every one fails/brings up the message.  Though once the error comes up, it may come up for the next 9 times they try to save that error message. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also seeing the same issue with two or three users running new HP machines with Windows 7 and Office 2007.

When everything works properly (saving to a network folder) it automatically saves as an HTML file.  When the error

occurs it results in the messages being saved as TMP files.  Often the user opens and re-saves from that location, however

due to the nature of their work and the quantity of emails this is an unreasonable workaround.  They were recently (about a month)

upgraded from XP and Office 2003, and had no problems doing this at until the change.  This happens to about 1 in 4 messages, seomtimes

more.  We have confirmed that when the user goes back and tries to save the same email again later, it may work properly and then may not.

Incoming format does not seem to be a factor.

Sorry this didn't help.

This Outlook interface error happens on every Dell PC out of the box Windows 7 32bit , Office 2007 SP2, Windows 2008 server when attempting to save a message as a.msg file to a network drive, still in search of a fix. , Any takers. using message save product or renaming the tmp file as a work around.

Sorry this didn't help.