ICal.ics files creating new calendar instead of opening into current calendar.

Somewhat recently, I've noticed that when I open .ics ICal attachments they create a brand NEW calendar instead of opening the appointment so I can modify it and then save (into my current calendar).

It's a real pain to have to switch to the newly-created calendar, change the view to a list (because of course the calendar is not even on the date of the appointment so I have to go find it), then cut it from there and paste it into my (default) calendar, then delete the new calendar.

What used to happen is that I'd get a .ics attachment, double-click it, and it would open up, so I could add notes, mark it as tentative, change my reminder time, and any other things that I wanted to do to it.. then I'd save, and it would be in my default calendar.

Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it?

Chuck.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2019 Views 21,076 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you open an .ics file from an attachment in outlook, it will open as a new calendar, however you can save the .ics attachment to the local computer and import it in to the default calendar to merge both the calendar information.

Try to steps to import the ical file after saving the file on to the computer.

1.    Go to the default calendar

2.    Click on file

3.    Select import/ export file

4.    Under import/ export wizard select import an icalendar file

5.    Select the file to be import from the saved location

6.    Check with the outlook default calendar

Ganesh Kumar N

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, I did that, but why was it sooooo much easier before? I used to sync up my FB calendar with Outlook very easily before because I could just send myself an email with the .ics attachment and when I opened the attachment it would OPEN, not insert it into a totally new calendar.

I may have taken a WindowsUpdate that 'secured' this up for me but I'd like to uninstall it if I knew what was going on...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ganesh Kumar N,

One important note from Chuck's response is that the default handling of an ICS file used to be to open into your default calendar and up until very recently, that behavior has changed. I updated my windows recently, but am not sure what may have caused this change. I tried to remove windows updates and even did a system restore to an earlier point, to no avail. Can you try to find out what update may have caused this change and if removing the update or reinstalling Outlook 2007 might fix the problem? It is really poor functionality to have each ICS file generate a new calendar and I'm not sure why it would function that way.

Thanks,

Matt using Outlook 2007

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I have the same very ambarrasing problem like Chuck since I installed outlook 2010. I was using outlook 2003 before and was able to open any .ics file from MS or Apple world.
Now outlook creates new calendar instead of opening the event.

Please let us know how to fix it asap.

Now Apple as just released the feature to open .ICS with Iphone what was really missing for long time. At the same time outlook cant do that anymore ? What's going on ?

Thanks in advance,
Yvaeh

Sorry this didn't help.

I can open it fine on my computer but I have a user with an issue opening their .ics attachments. Is there anyway to double click on the attachment so that it opens. When the user double clicks on it and selects open, the box goes away as if it was going to open the attachment then it does nothing as if the user never selected "OPEN".

Sorry this didn't help.

If you open an .ics file from an attachment in outlook, it will open as a new calendar, however you can save the .ics attachment to the local computer and import it in to the default calendar to merge both the calendar information.

Try to steps to import the ical file after saving the file on to the computer.

1.    Go to the default calendar

2.    Click on file

3.    Select import/ export file

4.    Under import/ export wizard select import an icalendar file

5.    Select the file to be import from the saved location

6.    Check with the outlook default calendar

Ganesh Kumar N

I love the cold feelingless response some Microsoft-helpers (which in this case means helping microsoft keeping their costumers out of their relentless paths). It;s time for some costumer support here now. This answer is like: Try reinstalling Windows '98 and see if you can use a french keyboard with the U.S. settings. Put on a blind-fold and ask if your mother can click on something and if that works: do it like that every time.

Are we progressing in becoming increasingly more efficient or would you like us to regress and take some more time to enjoy all necessary steps?

Should I point out I have the same problem? And if I have to point that out: will I tell you that I cannot remove that newly created unwanted calendar from my Outlook professional plus 2013? And will I point out that it (the ghost calendar) does not show in my live account online?

Do you have some more efficient steps that can replace the one-click user action I was able to use the last ten years or so? Step 7-13 (remove calendar after 'importing' a locally-saved-from-mail-attachement appointment?

By the way: where do you save your attachment if there is no local? In the OneDrive? And will the OneDrive eventually become SeveralDrives the way One step has become a list of actions to be taken.

HELP! (not Microsoft but me)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

And I just noticed I can't automatically accept invitations, nor can I have cancelled appointments be removed automatically. There are many double birthdays in the default birthday calendar that I also can't remove. For both birthdays as automatically created nameless calendars I have insufficient rights.

It seems to me the system took over. The right to create, the right to work around and the right to reject. I really chose Microsoft in accepting cloud technology. I waited around and by the looks of it was enthousiastic about it towards the people I support. But this is unexplainable to people who won't know what a user account is, how rights work etc. And for those who do understand. Why does google get this right the first time?

HELP!

Sorry this didn't help.

What a pain! Why can't we just select a default calendar that these files always open and save to? Work arounds are not answers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ganesh,

Once Outlook has generated all these new calendars, how do we go back and delete them

Thank you,

Sarah

Sorry this didn't help.

I saw this same behaviour only with certain .ics files. When comparing these to another working ics file, it seemed the failing ics contained multiple events in one .ics file.

Bart Meijer

Premier Field Engineer

Microsoft Services

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.