We are having weird problems when trying to open 2007 Excel files. I have seen some similar problems listed on different forums etc but nothing that seemed just like what we are experiencing.
Here is our configuration and what I have found out so far.
· The problem occurs any time we double-click a XLSX file located on the network and Excel is already open
o We get the “File in Use” error: “<filename> is locked for editing by ‘another user’. Open ‘Read-Only’ or click ‘Notify’ to open read-only and receive notification when the document is no longer in use.
o We have verified that when this happens *NO ONE* is accessing the file and according to the server the file is not being accessed
· If Excel *IS NOT* already open it works
· If the file is located on the local machine it works
· If we convert the file to a XLS format it works
· If we copy the file to another network location and double-click it works
o THE FIRST TIME ONLY
o After the first time it always fails
· In Excel if we goto OPEN, browse and then select the file it works
o The same if we open it from the list of Recent Documents, it works
· If we click on “Notify” when we get the error message within 10 seconds it says it is available and we click “Read-Write” and it works
· If we Right-Click on the file and select “OPEN” it works
· But if fails every time if we double-click a XLSX file that is located on the network when Excel is already open
· We are running Windows 7 64-bit enterprise edition
· Office 2007 SP2
· The Excel Option Advanced | General, "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" is already unchecked
As you can see we can work around the problem but it is very annoying to our users
If you have seen this problem and know of a fix I would appreciate knowing what you found out.