Individual Error Bars in Excel 2007

Hi,

I am trying to construct a scatter plot and display the standard error. The grpah contains one series. Each data point is a  different value on the x and y axis i.e., (1,5), (2,10) (3,20) etc. I am trying to put in error bars with the standard error. The standard error associated with each series point is different i.e.,  (1,5) StdError = +/-4, (2,10) StdError = +/-2 (3,20)StdError = +/-8.

Every time I put in the error bars, the standard error value has to be the same. Can anyone advise how I can change do each data point has its own error bar?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2019 Views 199,692 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Finally figured this out myself, so to expand on the above comment:
Take your standard error values (or whatever you're using for your error bars) and put them all in a row. Go to layout->error bars->more error bar options->select the series you want to do first-> custom/specify value. Highlight the cells in the row you just made that correspond to the data points in your series. The individual values in the row will now be set as the error bars for the individual data points in the series.  repeat for your next series.  When you make your row of standard error values you will need to group the values that are in a series so you can select them all at once without selecting anything else. Hope this helped simplify  :) I'm using Office 2010, which I believe works basically the same way as 2007.

211 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

You can make use of the Custom option to specify a value for each point.

More info can be found here,

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/error-bars-in-excel-2007/

Cheers   www.andypope.info
Cheers

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.