Question

Q: excel 2007 status bar sum does not indicate positive / negative sum

When selecting a range of numbers (combination of positive and negative numbers) - the sum on the status bar does not indicate if the total is a positive of negative amount.  Am I missing something?

Are you missing the small hyphen noting the negative number?

My own shows a negative in both Sum: and Average:.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jeeped: If you use this type of format _-$* #,##0_-;[Red]$* #,##0_-;_-$* "-"_-;_-@_  for the selected values- then the status bar has not sign regardless of its value because it is format-less. This problem has been reported to Excel Team.

best wishes

http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
A Guide to MS Excel 2013 for Scientists and Engineers

Sorry this didn't help.

My version of Excel does not have the negative sign - so I always have to do a manual SUM to check if total is positive or negative

Are you missing the small hyphen noting the negative number?

My own shows a negative in both Sum: and Average:.

Sorry this didn't help.

The situation / problem is there no matter what formatting I use.  I have tried this on many different formats, but the SUM at the status bar never shows a positive or negative sign.  Well, no sign is assumed positive, but I have never seen a negative sign on status bar - no matter what the formatting is of the highlighted cells.

Jeeped: If you use this type of format _-$* #,##0_-;[Red]$* #,##0_-;_-$* "-"_-;_-@_  for the selected values- then the status bar has not sign regardless of its value because it is format-less. This problem has been reported to Excel Team.

best wishes

Sorry this didn't help.

Might be time to repair/reinstall Office because that is not the normal behavior. best wishes

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on your early reply, I took a deeper look into the problem (although I had noticed this for more than a year already).

I frequently use standard number formatting for numbers which highlights in RED which are negative (without a sign).  I switched the formatting to parenthesis for negative numbers, and lo and behold.  The sum reflected parenthesis for negative numbers

I suppose the SUM in the status bar takes on the formatting of the selected range - in my case though, there is no "+" or "-", but instead it is reflected in red.  But the status bar does not have colors - ergo, no indicator if positive or negative.

Problem solved - and you can argue that there WAS no problem - but can be dangerously misleading.

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed there is a problem and the Excel Team have told me they are working on it. best wsihes

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,856 Last updated: July 3, 2018 Applies to: