How to do you unsplit a database?

Accidently split the data base using Access Database instead of SQL Server.

Unfortunately, a backup was not done before the split and there are several program changes since last backup with a different file name.

I need to run the front end on three computers and the back end on one. If I try and access the _be from more than on computer I get a "file _be.accdb already in use" Is there a way to go back to the original or change to the SQL server with the split I have already done?

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2020 Views 7,597 Applies to:

I'm confused. Why would you need to unsplit?

Where is the data actually residing at present - in an Access backend or in SQL/Server? How are you trying to access the _be? Do you have (conflicting?) data in the backend and also in SQL?

You should be able to use the Linked Table Manager in your frontend to link to the appropriate backend; if you need to migrate tables from an Access backend to the SQL/Server backend, you can do so.

John W. Vinson/MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please explain the back end and options.

Currently, the data (_be) is on the computer that is was developed on. It was split with Database Tools/Move Data/Access Database.

I need to run the front end on three computers. Is this setup useable or do I need to get the backend on the Windows SQL server?

On the second computer, I am trying to access the back end with a copy of the same front end on each computer. With Link Manager, I  selected all tables and checked the "always prompt for location" Clicked OK and selected the network path. This is where I get But only one the "file already in use". 

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 is installed. Is there anything that needs to be done to have ACCESS use it? In Event Viewer there are alot of entries for MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS. I forget how to get the Event screen that show the status such as enabled and disabled.

Sorry this didn't help.

See http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp.htm for a thorough discussion.

Your frontend (once you're done with the database splitter wizard) should not contain any tables. If it does,

MAKE   A    BACKUP!!!!

and then delete ALL of the tables; then use the External Data tab, choose Access... Link and navigate to your _be database. It's best to navigate via Network Places (or your operating system's equivalent, Microsoft keeps changing it :-{( ) so it's linking to a \\server\path\filename.mdb or .accdb rather than using a mapped drive letter. The backend should be stored in a folder accessible (full read, write, create and delete privileges) to all users.

Once you have a working linked frontend, each user should be able to just open a copy of it. If they're on the network they should not have to do anything else; the links are already set in the database frontend.

John W. Vinson/MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

1. The only user that can update records is the on on the local machine.  If a network user opens the application (local machine closed) you can see the but you can't update. If the user on the local machine opens the application now updates are not permitted.  If the local is open and updateable and the network tries to run you get "file not ready"

I need to update on all machines with the application running on each machine.

2. How do you do any table maintenance once the back end is in place. I have a table that I need to a field to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Close all forms, delete all linked tables, import tables from the split database and you're done.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a FOUR year old thread. 
Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you not notice that this is a four year old thread?  I would imagine that the OP has resolved this issue a long time ago.

"Don't write it down until you understand it!" - Richard Feynman

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.