In my OPEN WITH window the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" tick box is greyed out...

I have a couple of programs on my W7 (64-bit) PC that will not automatically open when I click on a file associated with them. For example, I have a file which was created in OneNote 2003. When I want to open this file, I double click it and instead of OneNote 2003 just loading and opening the file, the Open With window comes up asking me to choose a program to run this file. I manually choose OneNote 2003 and then try to tick the box opposite "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". But this is greyed out for some reason. And so every time I want to look at that file in OneNote 2003 I have to go though this same manual process to select that program to view it. HELP!

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2020 Views 50,098 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi

Open Control Panel / Default Programs.

Select the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link.

After all of the file types load, select the file type you wish to configure and click the Change Program button.

If the program is not in the Recommended section, click the down arrow for Other Programs.

If it is still not visible, select the Browse button and navigate to where the programs *.EXE file is located.

Select the program and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.