How to stop calculate during opening excel file?

I insert too much formula within excel file, once it opens, I wait forever,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop calculate during opening excel file? so I get chance to delete some formula.

CPU usage is 31%

Ram Total 3633128 and Available 2055404

I get no idea what the limitation on excel take it so long for calculation, and I still get many resources on hardware.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Answer
Answer
oem7110 wrote:

I insert too much formula within excel file, once it opens, I wait forever,
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop calculate during opening excel file? so I get chance to delete some formula.

Start Excel directly by clicking on the Excel program icon, not an Excel file icon.

In Excel, set the Manual calculation option (click on Tools, Options, Calculation).  I also like to deselect the option to Recalculate Before Save, although that is probably not necessary in this instance.

Finally, click on File, Open to open the Excel file.  It will open in Manual calculation mode even if it was saved in Automatic calculation mode.

Be sure to set Automatic calculation mode after deleting the unwanted formulas and before saving the Excel file again.

[EDIT] Although opening in Manual calculation mode avoids recalculating formulas that reference "volatile" functions directly or indirectly, it appears that some formulas that use INDEX are recalculated.  I have never quite understood why or when, because it is only some INDEX formulas, not all, and INDEX is not a "volatile" function.  IIRC, I have only seen this happen with expressions of the form INDEX(...):INDEX(...); but again, only sometimes.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 51,680 Applies to: