Space Bar, Enter, and Arrow Keys do not work in Mobile Office for Android

I have recently loaded Mobile Office on my Galaxy S3 (Android), and while it seems promising, the space bar, arrow keys, and enter keys are not recognized by the office applications (both Word and Excel).  The problem is specific to the apps as it works fine in other apps (text messages, emails, and other writing apps).  This basically makes office useless to me.  It looks like others have posted this issue for OneNote, but certainly this can't be a wide-spread problem can it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  My keyboard is a Targus Model# AKB33US

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2019 Views 2,570 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Exactly what application do you mean by "Mobile Office"?  Is it a Microsoft Application, or one of a number of other applications with that name that come up when you look for Mobile Office in the Google PlayStore?
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Doug,

Thank you for your help.  The application I am referring to is labeled "Office Mobile" on my phone, but it is part of Office 365.  My Android version is 4.1.2 (if that helps).

I also have a bit more information to lend...  I stopped by the Microsoft Store near today to see if this was perhaps a known issue.  I brought in my phone and keyboard and demonstrated the issue to one of the technical folks there.  I was told that the issue must be with Targus as Microsoft publishes as API and it is the responsibility of the 3rd party to meet it.  (I also work in a technical industry, so I can respect that answer.)  I asked if the Bluetooth keyboards that are on-sale at the Microsoft Store are compatible, and was told yes. 

However, before I purchased a new keyboard, I stepped outside and called the Targus tech. support line and was told something interesting.  They said that their products are not certified to work with Smart Phones, only tablets.  So if I was having issues, it was due to the fact that it was a phone and not a tablet (apparently there is a different build for Android if it is on a tablet vs. phone).  Bummer, but again, I can respect that answer as I did not apparently read the fine print...

So, I went back into the Microsoft store, but before purchasing the keyboard (FYI it was the Wedge Model), I asked to test the keyboard first.  Low and behold, the Microsoft keyboard had the exact same performance as the Targus (which I demonstrated to the tech.).  So it would seem that the problem is only in the Office 365 application, and is apparent on two different manufacturers keyboards (Microsoft and Targus).  The tech. recommended I open a case and stated that no one at the store could help me further.

I know this was a long email, but I think the information is important.  I am really looking forward to Office 365 for Android, but obviously not being able to type in Word or Excel is a problem.  :)

Thank you again for your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the information.

While I can access documents from my SkyDrive on a Nexus 7,  I cannot edit them.  Are you able to insert text at all in Office Mobile or does it not react to the keyboard in any way?

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Wishniwcz...

I use iPad Retina 4 with Office Mobile. I don't have cursor keys (arrows) but do have spacebar which works inside paragraphs. Also Siri allows me to speak text into the document which is cool but not perfect.

I also use it on my iPhone (no Siri) but spacebar works no arrow keys (cursor) that I can see.

So it works on both my Apple devices.

I also have OneNote (which just had an update). Let's face it, it doesn't replace a keyboard laptop or desktop and I prefer iPad and I have small hands (female) - you wouldn't want to be doing major revisions on any documents. You'd be better logging into Office Web Apps and opening it from Skydrive or SharePoint. Don't confuse accessibility for major document manipulation. You share documents (good for that) and a couple of quick edits.

My advice is that you must have Office 365 to have access to Office Mobile so I suggest you delete Office Mobile and reinstall on your phone - remember to select the correct version from Office 365 when you install it. As far as I know Mobile Apps is only available for Office 365 users (I think) - I don't write policy. But if you are eligible to use Office Mobile delete it and reinstall the correct version. Your keyboard has nothing to do with Office Mobile - there is no external plug in.

Setting up Office Mobile for Office 365 Subscribers on Android is just as simple on iOS. If you already have an Office 365 subscription, you can download the mobile app via the Google Play Store for free on an Android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) or higher. Unfortunately, this app is not optimized for tablets, and didn't even show up in the Google Play store on the Nexus 7.

Microsoft notes that Office Mobile for Android doesn't count toward your five-device install limit, so you're free to download Office 365 on five other PCs, Macs or Windows tablets.

Here’s how to download it:

Type this URL into your iPhone browser:
http://office.com/

Click on Office Mobile and download it from iTunes

Kind regards

janinecrutch.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug,

Yes, I can insert text and edit the documents via my phone (which is really nice).  I haven't tested every key on my keyboard, but it seems to be just those three functions that do not work in the Office application.

I even typed this response via my phone and bluetooth keyboard... :)

Thanks for your continued support!

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug,

Yes, I can insert text and edit the documents via my phone (which is really nice).  I haven't tested every key on my keyboard, but it seems to be just those three functions that do not work in the Office application.

I even typed this response via my phone and bluetooth keyboard... :)

Thanks for your continued support!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I am curious what replying to an email using your android phone's keyboard app has to do with Opening/Editing (basic format ) and saving a document using the Office Mobile app which accesses SharePoint Office 365 documents or Skydrive Pro documents? There is no arrow (cursor), there is space bar and return. If you can't access those features in Office Mobile download another keyboard app for your android phone - there appear to be a few to choose from.

Link to 9 best android keyboard:

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/8-best-android-keyboard-apps-reviewed-and-rated-1103347

Kind regards

janinecrutch.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Janine,

Thank you for your help, I completely agree that doing this on my phone is no replacecment for a full PC.  However, I have found more and more that pulling out my phone to type an email or take quick notes is faster than my laptop (and I have a pretty good laptop).  The bluetooth keyboard connects in seconds, and I can be done before my laptop even boots up.

Per your suggestion, I did go in and uninstall the existing Office app, and reinstalled (via google Play), I verified that it was the "for Office 365 users" version, and the performance result was the same.  I have litte doubt that the web-page version will work as I am typing this response via my bluetooth keyboard and phone and it works just fine.  The problem is only apparent when using the Office mobile app.  I have never had a problem on any web page or other app.

Thanks again for your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, emails are not part of the Office Mobile app. You have to have an Office 365 subscription to access your SharePoint/Skydrive Pro documents - and there is very little formatting available Highlight Bold Italic Outline View Save As Share Document .... and so on - very limited.

I assume you have an EXTERNAL keyboard that you use with your phone. My laptop Apple Retina with Flash Drive, iPhone and iPad all boot quicker than my Desktop iMac. But on my iPad and iPhone I have never seen an external Bluetooth Keyboard working just the keyboard on the iPhone and iPad itself.

If you use an external keyboard don't you still have to have the correct app keyboard installed on your phone?

My exchange accounts (Office 365 SharePoint) are email accounts (not part of Office Mobile).

Janine

Sorry this didn't help.

Janine,

Sorry for the jumbled responses... we must be typing at the same time! :) 

To clarify, I nearly always use my bluetooth keyboard because it is much faster if I am writing more than a few words.  So when I say I am responding to an email, or using a web-page, I am saying that I am using my bluetooth keyboard  and in any other app. or web-page works just fine...  it is only in the Mobile Office application that the keyboard inputs are not interpreted properly. 

As I wrote above, I demonstrated this at the MS Office store twice, and the tech. there even agreeed that it looked like a software issue.  I even tried a Microsoft-branded keyboard with the tech. watching, but it had the same performance; so at this point I am a bit reluctant to blame the keyboard when the ONLY thing it doesn't work with is Mobile Office.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Sorry this didn't help.