Microsoft Account app on Android

I installed the Microsoft Account App on my Android phone a year or so ago and am satisfied with it. I just tried to install it on my secondary phone, also Android, and can no longer find it in Google Play. Now there is the Microsoft Authenticator app. I have installed it now on both phones and have set it up with Lastpass on both. Cam I use it in place of the Microsoft Account App? What is the story?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Yes.

The Authenticator app generates security codes you can use to help keep your Microsoft account secure. You can add your Microsoft account to the app by scanning a barcode or by manually entering a secret key. The app implements industry-standard security code generation and may also work with other services and providers. You can learn more about keeping your Microsoft account secure at https://account.live.com/p.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/authenticator/9wzdncrfj3rj

42 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Yes.

The Authenticator app generates security codes you can use to help keep your Microsoft account secure. You can add your Microsoft account to the app by scanning a barcode or by manually entering a secret key. The app implements industry-standard security code generation and may also work with other services and providers. You can learn more about keeping your Microsoft account secure at https://account.live.com/p.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/authenticator/9wzdncrfj3rj

The reply does not answer the question. The question is about another app: The Microsoft Account App. It does/did more than generate security codes. What happened to it and how does Authenticator compare?

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Leslie,

Is this the app you are looking for?  Microsoft Outlook

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No. most definitely not. Outook is email.

Before the MS Authenticator App came the MS Account App. Both do authentication. The MS Account App has security codes as an alternate to approving requests. A request is sent to a mobile of your choice when you are logging into your Microsoft account.  You can then approved it on the device or decide to us a Security Code.

My question remains unanswered: what is the status of the Microsoft Account App?

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If this isn't the correct app, then I suggest you perform a search or explain more in detail to clarify what features the app had that made it so special.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

I just came across this and am wondering the same thing. What happened to the Account app that details the security code via mobile push? Was super helpful and easy to use! I'll try looking elsewhere and will let you know if I find anything!

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure what "Smittychat." is talking about. It all reads like canned answers from a robot and they aren't answering your question.

Here's my take:
Yes, from everything I can tell, the previous "Microsoft Account" app has been removed from the Google Play Store (and likely the iOS App Store). It is not listed in searches and does not appear in Microsoft's developer channel in the Play Store (which you can view for yourself here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Microsoft+Corporation). 

All signs point to Microsoft replacing that fairly limited "Microsoft Account" app with a more useful "Microsoft Authenticator" app that still allows you to get push notifications to your Android device for your Microsoft Account's push Two-Factor Authentication but now it also allows you to add your other 2FA codes for your other accounts and services (for example, Teamviewer, Azure, Duo, etc), not just your Microsoft Accounts. 

If you've ever used Windows Phone 8 or Windows 10 Mobile, you would have seen a similar app on that OS, so it seems like Microsoft has tried to unify/transition that Windows Phone experience to the other mobile OSes. Given that I was a long time Windows Phone user, I'm glad that they've expanded this application's scope because I had to use the Microsoft Account and Google Authenticator apps previously. Now, I can just use the Microsoft Authenticator app to do it all. 
They also had an Azure Authenticator app that I also don't see listed on their Developer channel in the Play Store any longer. I didn't use that application personally but it seems like they may have folded that into Microsoft Authenticator as well. 

I don't work for Microsoft or anything, so pardon any mistakes my response. Hope this info helps you out. Here's the link to the Microsoft Authenticator app if anyone needs it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.azure.authenticator

93 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please see my previous response to LesleyAndrews. From what I've gathered, all signs point to the "Microsoft Account" app being folded into the "Microsoft Authenticator" app. Both apps support mobile push 2-Factor Authentication, like you were used to with the old "Microsoft Account" app, but they've expanded the usage on the new "Microsoft Authenticator" app to allow for other accounts and services's 2FA (like Teamviewer, Azure, Duo, etc), instead of requiring separate applications for each.

Hope that clears up the situation for you!

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure what "Smittychat." is talking about. It all reads like canned answers from a robot and they aren't answering your question.

The question was:

"Cam I use it in place of the Microsoft Account App? What is the story?"

In my first post, the question was answered.

I'm sure as a Windows Insider you are aware of the COC and the fact Community Moderators are not employed by Microsoft. Otherwise you'd see Microsoft next to our user names. If not, then maybe you should read the 'COC' as well as 'Building Your Reputation'.

Please Do:

"Keep conversation threads on track. It's okay to disagree with another user's post, but don't take the thread off track to do so."

Please Don't:

"Incite other users to threaten, stalk, insult, victimize, or intimidate another person or group of people."

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No one else finds it remarkable that no one from Microsoft seems able to give a definitive response about what happened with one of their own apps? ImTheArsonist is probably correct. However, I was hoping for an authoritative response from someone at Microsoft. It is clear that Smittychat has no actual information although being given the full name of the Android app I asked about (to repeat "Microsoft Account").

ImTheArsonist raised an interesting point about notification. Microsoft Authenticator mentions notification, but I have never received one via that app. On the other hand, I still get notifications (asking for access approval when I use my Microsoft account to log onto a new device or account) on the Microsoft Account app. Clearly, the two apps are not fully equivalent. I still find the Microsoft Account app to be more useful.

So far, we have a great deal of fog and reasonable speculation, but no satisfactory response. I am not impressed and seem to have wasted a great deal of several person's time (including my own).

63 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 14,818 Applies to: