MSN Homepage repeatedly reverts to redirecting to Regional settings rather than actual identifiable address bar address

I am experiencing ongoing frustration with my Internet Explore 11's MSN Homepage. It wrests ongoing control of My chosen user preferences.

I am a Canadian currently located in Bogota, Colombia. Internet Explorer 11 is configured via Internet Options to default to my Homepage "http://www.msn.ca/?lang=en-ca". The initial indication is the page opens up with "http://www.msn.com/?lang=en-ca". OK, not too big of a problem. Rather straight forward.

However, so ends my Internet Explorer 11 controllability. The IE11 sub-app MSN 'home'page reverts to Espanol complete with regional information. Frankly, I have zero interest in viewing regional information from here. I prefer to see what is going on at 'home' which is why I configure my homepage accordingly. It is, after all, supposed to be my choice. To top it off, even though the address bar clearly identifies the language to be English, the page is entirely in Espanol. This is not a case of misinformation being improperly entered; I see it as a form of hijacking akin to spam-like or malware-like interference.

Occassionally upon logging in I note the actual address curiously becomes "http://www.msn.com/?lang=en-ca&AR=2". I scope out my Internet Options homepage settings and they are as I have entered; however the address bar information is as I just identified. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. I perceive this information to suggest English as the language and perhaps Argentina as the regional location. Still, nothing in English, everything in Spanish and certainly not Canada. The result is, in all cases, not whatsoever that I manually configured. Yeah, clear history etc., but no matter,  it does not do as configured.

Without understanding, occasionally if I click the Home 'button' the page will finally take me to my configured Homepage. Very inexplicable as there are no variables which clearly indicate how and why. Far more times than others, I find my Homepaging to the regional page rather than my pre-configured Canadian Homepage. 

If I manually change the address to 'force' "http://www.msn.ca/?lang=en-ca" and then click ENTER the page automatically reloads as:

"http://www.msn.com/?redirfallthru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.msn.ca%2f%3flang%3den-ca"

which I perceive suggests a 'ReDirect Follow Through"(? my decoding?)  taking me instead to a website which MSN 'magically, determines is appropriate; contrary entirely to that which is manually entered into Internet Explorer 11.

All in all, this ongoing 'competition' for me to securely lock down my preferred home page within Internet Options has become a complete waste of my time. In mind I have spent considerable time investigating and (apparently proving it works) reconfiguring MSN to start at my selected home page (Canada) in English probably 10 times in the last week.

I am disinterested in appearing to justify basic user-selected configuration preferences which are clearly intended to enable 'complete' unique function. At it's core, this is simply a tool for my use. It either works well and makes my life either a bit easier or better, or it does not.

The reality for me when I use Internet Explorer 11, it defaults to MSN as the tool to display my Homepage. Without attempting to sound melodramatic, MSN hijacks my personally configured Homepage-setting redirecting instead to display regional information in a foreign language to me repeatedly regardless what is displayed in the address bar. However:

- if I log in using my Google browser profile, it functions as I configured it. 

- if I log in using my Firefox browser profile, it functions as I configured it.

I view this functional difference between browsers to suggest there is no regional requirement let alone legal requirement obliging the independent services to not enable me to proactively dictate where I intend my Homepage to reside.

My rationale behind my choice to utilize Internet Explorer 11 is I purchased a couple of Windows based cell phones as well as a new AiO ASUS computer preloaded with both Windows 8.1 and Android on it's tablet. I rationalized it may be reasonable giving Internet Explorer the college try to ensure commonality behind hardware platforms. The cell phones work just fine as do their associated applications.

My PC browsing effort using Internet Explorer 11 and it's default MSN sub-application is, however, unnecessarily frustrating (especially considering the alternative options readily available aka competition).

I have reached a position of experience which finds Internet Explorer 11 in conjunction with it's MSN interface is ineffective for my rather common requirements. It has become basically useless and entirely undependable.

It does not matter the degree of ingenuity I may have; nor how much skullduggery sleuthing I employ to discover (what continue to prove to be) short term solutions searching the internet to simply enable my Internet Explorer to function basically as required. I have had enough 'resolutions' advising me to 'simply' reset my I.E. to appear to wrest control of that which I do (supposedly) control; only to find I need to start yet again to create my interface profile criterion. Again and again and again throughout the week. My life is fulfilled in other 'normal' ways than redoing repeatedly that which was working fine a day or two earlier. The function is by and large untenable in comparison to the competition. In my opinion it seems both Internet Explorer overseers and MSN administrative proponents need to find their common reference point is simply browsing-for-the-user rather than, perhaps, browsing for the bottom line. The option is they will likely succeed in going broke at this rate.

Have a great day. Cheers!

|

Hi,

Click on the Cog Wheel next to User Name on MSN.com

Under Change Language and Content > Select Canada (English)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thanks very much for your input.

It is already set to Canada (English)

Quite the anomaly overall.

Clicking on the Settings (above) takes me to:

Simply illogical compared to all worked well previously.

And just in case you are wondering...

As it stands (so far), this certainly is not life threatening in any form, but it has indeed become an unnecessary waste of time; especially knowing all has functioned simply fine for many years prior.

I think something has either not been properly vetted within or the Microsoft system has perhaps become corrupted by hired individuals whose authority enable misplaced values to direct previously sound infrastructure with regards to their tools and apps. Yeah, I know, sounding a bit paranoid. Result of apparently straight forward, easy, logical steps simply not working out.

Thanks again for contributing some helpful suggestion.

Cheers! and have a great day.

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Navigate to Bing.com

Click on the Settings Cog (upper right)

General Tab > Display English > Save

Click on Worldwide Tab

Select Canada (English)

See if this helps

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

Thanks very much for your assistance.

I followed your suggestion regarding navigating within Bing and checking their settings:

All appears fine. I noticed an option asking me where am I. I clicked on Canada - English, logged out and restarted Bing again returning to the same option which again asked me Where am I

Perhaps I am expecting something far too simple. When I set my home page I basically expect it to work or at least depend upon not having to continually validate and sleuth.

Curiosity being what it is with me, are you perhaps suggesting I set the Bing desktop as my homepage rather than what I presume is the default MSN?

I note when I change the Bing address to Bing.ca it instead automatically loads:

Again, the entire encounter is, to say the least, odd considering the nature of what a Homepage is intended to be.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate you contributing. Perhaps the Bing page is functionally more stable?

Have a great evening. Cheers!

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While you were in Bing Settings, did you click on the Worldwide tab to change location?

No, I was not suggesting you make Bing your home page.  I was having you check settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Yes, I clicked on Worldwide settings yesterday. 

Bing "Search worldwide" page listed a small selection of countries.

Yesterday I clicked on "Canada - English", logged out and restarted Bing again. I returned to the same option which again asked me "where in Canada are we?". The page had a picture of an autumn setting lake.

Today, having read your question I followed through with the steps I did yesterday.I clicked Bing 'Gear' (upper right) which are actually Bing "Preferences".

- It took me to the Bing "Settings" page.  I note my location identifies "Surrey, BC". (see image below)

- I then clicked "Worldwide" (upper left-center) on the Settings page.

- I, again, selected "Canada-English". I was returned to the Bing 'Home' page.

Today I recognize the picture is an array of residences in a palm shaped Dubai water setting. Curiously, at the lower left I note the question is simply "where are we?"; no mention of Dubai.

Comparing to yesterday when I followed your directions it asked "where in Canada are we?" Perhaps a coincidence including the name "Canada" yesterday? I certainly hope today's adventure does not result in a Homepage full of Arabic when I click the Internet Explorer Home symbol.   ;-)

Having clicked on Bing "Preferences" it took me to Bing "Settings" I note my Bing "Location" shows Surrey, BC as well as Bing "Display" = English. All appears fine from within Bing.

I then clicked the Internet Explorer 11 Home button. It took me to the Canadian Homepage today.

As I previously mentioned it occasionally works as intended.... perhaps confirming Bing settings worked and this may be otherwise permanent? If they function as intended, perhaps MSN should either default to using Bing's settings structure or employing Bing's architecture?

Having noted today the Bing picture of the waterfront homes in Dubai, I was imagining my latest situation possibly resulting in pages of Arabic. This 'paranoia' is due to the Spanish regional Homepage stuff has been illogically happening frequently for the past few weeks. 

A bit more information (which may or may not have a bearing on this anomaly) in the event you are curious, I did receive a rather large series of Windows 8.1 updates yesterday which required me to restart the computer. Related to this, I update via Windows update quite frequently. My settings are to do so automatically. However, I do this both manually and automatically as I prefer Windows Defender to be updated as currently as possible in this environment.

Thankyou for taking an interest in pinpointing with a view to resolving my MSN Homepage challenge. If it reverts to regional Espanol, I will follow up via this answers.microsoft.com tool.

If all works fine now (for the long term) it is important MSN invests timely effort to ensure the tool functions both seamlessly and easily. No way this should be an ongoing sleuthing challenge decoding how to reliably set a user's homepage. Clearly it is important this functions both smoothly and reliably for the user.

MSN's overriding risk is knowing it is the Customer's choice and option is to default to the competition if they function both easily and reliably.

Cheers!

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

Well, that lasted about an hour...

I note the Homepage identifies the temperature in Vancouver and the entire page is Espanol again. 

Getting quite tired of this.

MY Homepage is AGAIN hijacked and rerouted to: 

http://www.msn.com/es-co/?redirfallthru=http%3a%2f%2fwww.msn.ca%2f%3flang%3den-ca

What other technological opinion other than Malware should a user consider this behaviour to be? 

Hmmmm

And just to keep that element of paranoia in perspective, I do indeed have a fully updated Malwarebytes AntiMalware (Premium) 2.0.3.1025 [Datbase Version v2014.10.15.06] installed. 

Hmmmm But, I noted the last scan was 7 hours ago... I wonder.....  recognizing my apparent paranoia, I better run an immediate scan again in the event I am in error (oh brother!) and here are the results:

OK, no threat detected. Whew!

And yes, yet AGAIN I can go into the MSN preferences.

I see I need to yet AGAIN "CHANGE LANGUAGE AND CONTENT'  to become Canada (English) for the billionth time and determine under SETTINGS "Market and Language" are also "Canada (English)" and Temperature in Celsius and note 'My' "Home Location" is now (close) Vancouver, BC (from Surrey, BC)

Then clicking towards the bottom of the page:

-"Bing Privacy Settings" (Which Internet Explorer protectively Blocks and I must ALLOW)

- indicating "Display" is "English" followed by

- clicking on "Worldwide" which takes me to

- "Settings" and see the options availabe under

- "Search Worldwide" to be a rather small list of countries I again click on the

- "Canada - English" option which takes me to

- "http://www.bing.com/" yet again displaying

- the manmade complete waste of energy Dubai desert-fringe residential palm tree in the water. with MSN proudly proclaiming "Yes, this is man-made." and proclaiming technological achievement infatuations.

However, back to my situation.

I need to Focus on basics. Simply deserve to be able to depend upon Me choosing to select MY Homepage and MY Language and leave it alone. 

Some misguided brainiac cannot leave well enough alone.

Suspect an MBA Accountant overseeing and directing everything but his/her paper and pencil. hmmm

;-)

I hope you have a better day. Cheers!

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe it's the IP address causing the Spanish issue.  

Do you have a home network?  Try assigning a static IP address.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2021 Views 1,632 Applies to: