Windows 10 and MSN Explorer Premium

My computer currently runs Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, and I am subscribed to MSN Premium (Version 11.000.0028.1500) as my Internet service provider.  Lately, MSN has had numerous operating failures requing the program to be closed and relogging, sometimes repeating the problem several times after a single log in episode, which leads me to think that there may be some instability or other issue(s) that are causing this to happen.  I understand the MSN Explorer runs with Internet Explorer in the back ground, but when I run Internet Explorer by itself, I do not have access to my favorites and other features I have configured in MSN Explorer (e.g. home page, mail, address book, calendar, etc).  I have already reserved a copy of Windows 10 and have several questions about the upgrade:

• How will MSN Explorer work with Windows 10?
  • Will there be an upgrade of MSN Explorer concurrent with the Windows 10 upgrade?
  • Will Microsoft Edge replace Internet Explorer?
  • Will I be able to use Microsoft Edge in lieu of MSN Explorer and access the same features I currentlent have in MSN Explorer?

I sincerely thank in advance any assistance and insight that anyonecan provide on these questions.

Pedro_Sr

Answer
Answer

Hello Everyone!  

Prior to upgrading to Windows 10, I had Windows 7 and had been having issues with MSN Explorer that it would stop working, sometimes repeatedly, especially when we would switch from the browser to email or from my account to my wife's account.  Immediately after the upgrade to Windows 10, I was able to access my email, but could not either reply to or write new emails.  

I called Tech Support and after about 1 hour on the phone, the technician was unable to resolve the problem and created a case no. for referral to a Level 2 Technician. After three calls and my insisting that I needed this resolved at that time, a Supervisor came on the line to assist me. He found that I had multiple currupt files in my temporary files, which was causing the recurring crashes of MSN Explorer. He proceeded to delete all the currupt files and re-installed MSN Explorer after which I was able to access and respond, as well as write new emails. The technician did warn me that there was a problem in the interface between MSN Explorer mail and Windows 10 that would cause MSN Explorer to crash when attempting to open emails with attachments, and that Microsoft was working to resolve this issue. The issue must have been resolved because I now can open emails with attachments without problems. The same Supervisor called me the next day to check if everything was working fine, except for the issue with emails with attachments that he had warned me the previous day. As a matter of fact, since his assistance about a week ago, I have not had any instances of MSN Explorer crashing.  The only problem I was having until yesterday was that after the computer went into the sleep mode, my Logitech wireless mouse would not work. I had to remove the USB input device and reinsert it for the mouse to respond. However, yesterday I went to Control Panel and selected connected devices and performed a diagnostic for the mouse and Windows fixed the problem. So, knock on wood, the mouse has been working fine since then. 

I use Norton 360 Premium for my virus and other protection and Norton advised me that not all the features of Norton 360 are compatible with Windows 10 and Edge, so it recommended that I make Internet Explorer as my default browser, which as you may know, runs in the background with MSN Explorer.  Norton advised me that they are working to resolve this issue and will notify me as soon as it is resolved. 

On on a previous occasion prior to Windows 10, I asked the folks at MSN if I could use Internet Explorer and Outlook as my browser and email and was told I could, but that first I needed to log into my MSN Premium account and then switch to either IE or Outlook. However, I was warned that my favorites would not be available in IE nor my address book and my regular mail boxes would be available in Outlook. As you all may know, Outlook.com replaced hotmail and is available through MSN Explorer, and allows you to access your mail boxes and address book. 

I hope one this is helpful to all. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Pedro,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about your queries.

I also appreciate your concerns about MSN explorer.

MSN explorer will work as it works in previous version of Windows. An upgrade of MSN explorer is not required.

Microsoft Edge will replace Internet explorer. However, you will still have "Open with Internet explorer" option within Edge.

You will be able to use Microsoft Edge in lieu of MSN Explorer and access the same features.

For issue with MSN favorites, you may refer the following link and check if it helps.
https://answers.msn.com/product.aspx?productid=33&wa=wsignin1.0

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2020 Views 9,198 Applies to: