Reserved Space and Content from Other Computers

My Zune 4GB is showing 2.10GB as reserved space and content from other computers.  I can understand that this may have come from my old computer and be items that were disconnected from a library when I started a new one on my new computer.  However, if I erase the zune from the software and start over, the problem is solved, but a few days later, the 2.10GB is reserved again.  This doesn't make any sense to me, and it means I cannot fill half my Zune.  Any ideas?? Please help! I would even be willing to reset my library or whatever other options, as long as no action that I take will make me sign up all over again for podcasts.  I do not want to lose the subscriptions or have to start over with selecting settings for podcast items to end up in my library.  As an aside, even changing computers did not cause this problem on my Ipod, which had far superior software apparently.  I really like Zune and would love to see this problem resolved so I can continue to enjoy it.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2019 Views 7,036 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
My Zune 4GB is showing 2.10GB as reserved space and content from other computers.  I can understand that this may have come from my old computer and be items that were disconnected from a library when I started a new one on my new computer.  However, if I erase the zune from the software and start over, the problem is solved, but a few days later, the 2.10GB is reserved again.  This doesn't make any sense to me, and it means I cannot fill half my Zune.  Any ideas?? Please help!  I would even be willing to reset my library or whatever other options, as long as no action that I take will make me sign up all over again for podcasts.  I do not want to lose the subscriptions or have to start over with selecting settings for podcast items to end up in my library.  As an aside, even changing computers did not cause this problem on my Ipod, which had far superior software apparently.  I really like Zune and would love to see this problem resolved so I can continue to enjoy it.

1) Yes...but if you had the same content on the new PC, and set your sync mode to all, or set it to choose and chose those items, they'd move from reserved back to music.  This space is actually being used...you are not losing the space.  (Calling it reserved is not helpful... it really means content that the software is not directly managing... like content from another PC, but not only that.)

2) Other stuff that can be in there includes friends, and anything you sync on manually.  For instance, since I can see you are a big podcast user (so am I...) if you manually download episodes (and have them set to sync...) they will go in that same category.

3) resetting your collection would only help if your issue is not explained away by unmanaged content.  And, resetting the collection will reset all of your podcast settings...since they are part of the collection.

4) Perhaps, but until you figure out that space is not coming from your sync habits and content, I don't think you have a problem.  'reserved space' is a category, and except for the % you allocate, is actually being used for your stuff.

Zune MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If I understood you correctly, then I cannot explain the 2.1GB of reserved space....IF you sync that playlist automatically, and not manually.  Here's what I'd do, if I were you, to make sure there is not some problem.

1) go into settings->device->sync options.  change the sync mode for music to 'items I choose'  and the sync mode for podcasts to 'all' or choose.  (all if you sync all of them, choose otherwise.)

2) connect your zune, and go into the software settings, and erase all.  

3) reboot your zune, restart the software and connect the zune.

4) Drag the playlist down to the zune icon in the lower left after the zune is recognized.  This makes it a sync group.  In this mode, any changes you make to that playlist on the PC will be synchronized to the device at the next sync.  this includes adding and removing music from the device to keep that playlist sync'd.

5) If you chose all for podcasts, you're all set with them, except...

5a) in the software, collection view for podcasts (collection... not device) look for episodes marked 'in collection' vs. automatic.  In collection means you've downloaded them manually and they will sit forever or until you delete them.  And, they will sync or not per your sync series settings, plus will categorize as guest or unmanaged (aka reserved space) content.

5b) if you chose 'choose' mode for the podcasts, right click the podcast icons and 'sync with zune' or drag them down to the zune icon to set them as sync groups.

Now, if you get a large reserved space, it would indicate some sort of problem, unless you have a bunch of 'in collection' podcast episodes.

Zune MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.