Zune software won't install on Win7 64 bit.

I have been trying this these last two days. I just got a new 32GB Zune HD yesterday and have been unsuccessful in installing the software. 

I tried this one: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab1a80ed-e337-4346-9d5a-f00cfb467514&displaylang=en

because the original one I got from the Zune site didn't work and it gave me this link. Still doesn't work though. It said that a windows 7 portable device update was not installed. The error code is 0x80240017. I went to windows update to see if I needed anything new, but it said that my windows is up to date. The history has several Zune Software 4.7 FAILS.

I've tried several other things like different compatibility modes or running it as an admin. Nothing. Although one time, it went pretty far but got stuck at 99%. Also, if I simply plug the Zune in, my laptop fails to find a driver. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I connected it to another computer, successfully? 

I tried looking for a version specifically for 64 bit systems, but the link on the Zune site is broken. I have never been successful in installing anything Zune related so there is nothing to uninstall and reinstall. Help please! This is really frustrating. I have an empty Zune!

Answer
Answer

Can't find the media for installation package "Windows 7 Portable Device Update." It might be incomplete or corrupt. Error Code: 0x80070002

"Microsoft Windows 7 (Windows 7 N editions require Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N), Windows Vista (all editions), Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (Home, Professional, Tablet PC, or Media Center Edition 2005 with Rollup Update 2), or Mac OS X with Boot Camp running Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

If you’re using a Windows 7 N edition, please click

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=31017ed3-166a-4c75-b90c-a6cef9b414c4&displaylang=en to download and install the Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N before you download the Zune software.

Zune software won't work on versions of Windows earlier than Windows XP SP3, any 64-bit version of Windows XP, or any version of Windows Server".

credits to Linney

N editions

The features in the N Editions are the same as their equivalent full versions, but do not include Windows Media Player. The cost of the N Editions are the same as the full versions, as Windows Media Player can be downloaded without charge from Microsoft for the N Editions.

*Windows Media Player is a requirement to install zune SW: just follow link listed above

====================================================================================

another Solution:

1. Connect my device, let windows update download latest mobile device updates

2. Double click zune setup package

3. Without interacting with main installation, go to folder that was created by the zune setup package. Should be something like "c:\[guid]\"

4. Go to x64/packages/ and double clicke the en-us.msi package

5. Wait for it to complete and close original

Hope this helps somebody else out there.

credits to brenton.unger

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 5,748 Applies to: