Zune software is not properly organizing one "Artist" alphabetically in the collection view.

Zune software is not properly organizing one "Artist" (called "Soundtrack") alphabetically in the collection view. 

Everything is properly alphabetized with the exception of "Soundtrack" which is placed with the albums that start with H. To search for it by typing on the collection screen, I actually have to type in "hsoundtrack." I have tagged and retagged everything in this collection, and the tags are correct. Renaming "Soundtrack" doesn't change the position (like there's an invisible "h" stuck to the beginning of whatever I rename it). The media reset tool doesn't help, and neither did uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting temporary files, and deleting ZuneStore in %user%/Appdata/Microsoft/Zune. I also tried removing the folder entirely from my collection and my music library, recreating it, and adding the songs back one at a time, and the moment it detects one song it places "Soundtrack" right back in with the H's. Windows Media Player and other media applications properly alphabetize this. Any ideas? It's driving me crazy.

Here is a screenshot of what the issue looks like: http://i.imgur.com/UklXY.png

Thanks.
|

Hi Seluropnek,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I will escalate your issue for further troubleshooting steps to try. I will post here again once I have an update.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,
Sheena M.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Seluropnek,

In the Zune software Collection, can you go to the songs from this Artist, then right click the song and select Edit.

Can you make sure that the Artist and other information is all correct and click OK. Try to close and re-open the Zune software. Is it still the same issue?

Also, if you right click the songs again and select Edit, enter a completely different artist name, do they alphabetise still under H?

Please let me know the results.

Kind Regards,
Sheena M.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Seluropnek,

In the Zune software Collection, can you go to the songs from this Artist, then right click the song and select Edit.

Can you make sure that the Artist and other information is all correct and click OK. Try to close and re-open the Zune software. Is it still the same issue?

Also, if you right click the songs again and select Edit, enter a completely different artist name, do they alphabetise still under H?

Please let me know the results.

Kind Regards,
Sheena M.

Hi Sheena,

Yes, the song names are all correct. If I remove the artist entirely, and only put one random song back, it still comes back in the wrong place. It doesn't matter what I rename the artist to - it will always show up under H. It's like something about this particular folder is indexed weird, but only in the Zune software. Tried closing and reopening, restarting the service, uninstalling Zune and deleting the folder in appdata and reinstalling... I have no idea what it could be. I'll be really impressed if you guys can figure it out. =P

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem with an artist that starts with the letter K.
the software alphabetizes the artist under the letter O. so i edit and 
rename the artist to SSS and SSS still appears in the O sections.
it doesn't matter what i name the artist it remains wedged in the letter O's section.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I know this isn't helpful but I'm having the same problem too

I can't believe there's no solution yet ;-;
Area 51 is my Mecca

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I know this isn't helpful but I'm having the same problem too

I can't believe there's no solution yet ;-;

Alright, I'm a bad person - I actually figured this thing out a while ago after beating my head against it for a long time, and completely neglected to post a solution. I'm sorry, I hate when people do that and I hate being "that guy."

That said, here's how I fixed it and I hope you forgive me.

Create a "dummy" MP3 with the album artist set to "TEST" or any random name that doesn't already exist in your collection (for consistency, I also set the album name and title to "TEST" as well). I did this by making a copy of a random MP3 I already had and setting the artist to "TEST" via MP3Tag software, but I'd imagine if you did this within the Zune software, that would work fine as well.

At this point in your A-Z artist listing, there should be one new artist called "TEST" with the single MP3 you created in there. Within the left A-Z artist listing pane, click and drag TEST into the artist that is out of order. You'll get an "Edit album info" notification - click OK. Delete TEST from your Zune collection within the artist. 

This worked for me and now, hopefully, your artist will be back in order. 

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh my goodness

It worked! Thank you so much
Area 51 is my Mecca

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2018 Views 179 Applies to: