Groove Music Download error on Iphone

When downloading multiple albums to my collection to play offline from groove, (xbox music pass), the download is apparently sticking on a song.   It has been this way for several days now.   the error message at the top of the screen says:    " "round "i" symbol"   Downloaded 0 of 50".   I don't know which song it is and don't know how to determine which one it is.    All other aspects of Groove work fine.    But now that it is stuck,   I just went to make another album available offline and I get  "Downloaded 0 of 60".  

I have rebooted my phone.  No joy.  Many albums did download successfull before getting stuck.    I have many gigabytes available in memory.   If I go to "Settings" and "Sync my Collection", nothing happens.  If I sign out and sign back into my Groove Microsoft account, nothing happens.

I have Groove on new Iphone 6 and also have an xbox music pass that I have had for several years.   Works pretty good on Iphone.  Just this one issue.

I think it might be the software. It freezes on me often and does the same download error as well. Been with the music pass since zune but considering a new provider because of the inferior app software

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have slowly given up on Microsoft music, and because of it,  Win Phone as well.  My experience had been satisfactory with Zune; then evolving to "Blame it on the customer" for all of the pain a suffering that I had with Xbox music;  to having the lowest expectations with Groove.   I finally gave up Win Phone earlier this year and shifted to I-phone.  The biggest reason was all of the problems I had with xbox music.   Groove actually works pretty well on I-phone until I ran into the offline music problem.  I don't have time any more to be a decade long beta tester so I rarely use Groove any more and almost always use I-tunes.  I'm still paying the 9.99 / mo to Microsoft for music.  I'll probably try to see if the problems have gone with the last groove update last week.  My long experience with Microsoft has given me the expectation that I'll spend hours upon hours testing stuff only to re-live continuing problems that remain.   

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine said "(!) Download Error" and was able to fix it by tracking down exactly which song, then hitting the song and pop-up occurred with option to retry. But finding which song is the hard part. I had to sort my music by "available offline" only and find which  album still had the streaming icon beside it, then go into the album and resort by "all music", then the song in question had the icon (!) next to it. You could also view the all songs list and tediously search for the (!) icon by the bad song.. Sorry that's all I got, hopefully MS will address this in a update, at least give more detail about the download error message..

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it has to do with the recent iOS update, or well... Maybe it doesn't. Just noticed the original posters date is prior to the update. It must have something to do with number of allowed devices. Here's my story:

I recently purchased a new iPhone 6s 16gb.  I was able to install Groove Music and download all my music for offline play. THEN... The phones went on sale. So, I exchanged the 16gb for the 64gb.  When setting up the new phone with Groove Music I now receive the same download error as mentioned above. On the first iPhone Groove Music was working flawlessly, and I was quite pleased.           

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not just on iOS; it's happening on my Windows 10 computers as well (I was going to download all the Groove Music Pass tracks, and then try to find their location so I can try to add them to the Plex Server). Even when trying to download a single song that's been added to the Collection through the Groove Music Pass, I'm getting the same error (the track plays fine streaming).

I wouldn't mind being a decade long beta tester, but I'm not sure that it's improving overall; they'd have to be fixing the problems being found -- but they just seem to be getting shifted to another area. Pretty pathetic...

Tired of all the interface and lack of customization of the iOS music and the never-ending subscriptions of iTunes Match, iCloud, Apple Music, etc., I recently switched back to the MS music land, and I'm slowly remembering why I had jumped on the Apple wagon in the first place.

Rock and a hard place...

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Happens on my Android device as well. This software is terrible.
JeffDC

Sorry this didn't help.

Good answer. Nightmare tho!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok being an iPhone/iTunes user I decided to give the whole Microsoft Groove thing a whirl and purchased 4 albums on their current Halloween promotion from the MS Music Store especially as I had an Xbox One too. Unfortunately though I could only download one out of the four albums on my iPhone 6s via the Groove app. All the other 3 albums displayed a "!Download Error' message when I prompted the download.

I contacted MS support and eventually got through to a very helpful agent called Greg who directed me to this link. I tried uninstalling the app, signing out and back in etc however nothing seemed to work even though there was more than enough storage space on my phone (some 45gb or so).

At that time my iPhone was running on software ver 10.0.2. but noted there was an update to 10.1. Anyway I have since updated to 10.1, re-installed the app and the albums still don't download and still immediately stall. This is something MS need to rectify and fast as it seems to hinder iphone users with the Groove app.

In a wrap if you have an iPhone6S running either 10.02 or 10.1 then you might find issues downloading any purchased music direct to your phone via the Groove App. 

I'm unsure if they will download if uploaded to OneDrive first so this will probably be my next step until MS issue an update.....luckily the albums I purchased where only cheap on the promotion but still if they were full price I'd be pretty peeved as I've basically got 3 albums that I've paid for and won't directly download to my phone Grrrr!  Be Warned guys! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2019 Views 2,942 Applies to: