Groove Music "Couldn't Sync" [SOLVED]

Details:

• Groove Music: 3.6.1537.0 3.6.1557.0 3.6.1580.0
  • Device: Lumia 950
  • OS build: 10.0.10586.0 10.0.10586.36 10.0.10586.63

The issue:

When I load Groove Music I noticed some music I added on my computer weren't synced to my phone. Easy fix, hit the 'sync my music' button wait a minute done. Not this time after about a minute it switched to 'Couldn't sync.' No error code or anything which is really annoying to be honest. I deleted the Music Cache folder on my phone, restarted, soft reset, tried uninstalling groove (That's not an option sadly) and nothing seems to work.

UPDATE 1 (1/8/16):

I contacted @MicrosoftHelps via twitter asking if anyone was going to acknowledge the bug in Groove Music, they then asked the typical questions:

Me: Is anyone going to acknowledge the bug in Groove Music for Mobile where you can't sync?

Microsoft: Hi, Cody! We'd be glad to help. Can you share more detail with us on your issue? Are you using a Windows phone?

Me: answers.microsoft.com/en-us/musicandvideo/forum/xboxmusic/groove-music-couldnt-sync/5463ea45-3284-45f3-8ad6-cf935692060c  I created a forum on it and I have reported it on Windows Feedback as well. It's not just me either.

Microsoft: Thank you for the feedback. We'll pass this on to the appropriate team for further review.

I have to tell you, they listened. I am now able to sync my music. Don't believe me?

I wasn't sure it just went through one time, so I did it again:

and it works!!!

All I did was update to build 10.0.10586.63 (Fast Ring) and then went to the store, checked for updates, downloaded and it works. I will be trying to see if they just released the update for Groove Music without having to update (Will test on my L920), nowhere in the changelog does it STATE THE FIX OF THIS BUG (they knew they **** up). Cheers and happy syncing :)

** Note the first sync once you update will take a long time, don't let the screen time out (5min most)*

UPDATE 2 (1/8/16):

I just synced my Lumia 920 and it seems you only need to update the app.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same issue.  :(  Blah, hope they fix this.  I am on 950XL

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue.  :(  Blah, hope they fix this.  I am on 950XL

I'm glad I am not the only one who has the issue and on a different phone. I also updated the Groove app and the issue was still not fixed. I looked at the changelog and there is no reference to fixing the "couldn't sync" issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where did you delete the music cache?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where did you delete the music cache?

Open File Explorer, navigate to wherever you save your music (In my case: 'This Device') go into the music folder, and delete the Music Cache folder. This deletes all currently downloading, and all music on your device you downloaded from Groove / Xbox.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, checked on my iPhone and android Groove Apps.  I see the latest music from my PC so it has to be a lumia/Windows 10 mobile thing :(  blah....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, I don't have a cache folder in either the internal or external (SD card) Music folder w/ hidden files showing.  I wonder if it's a Music Pass / Groove feature only. 

I have nothing but local music and it doesn't sync songs on my internal 32GB of storage after it's interrogated 33K songs on my SD card.

Some potentially related defects:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/musicandvideo/forum/xboxmusic/bug-groove-music-on-lumia-950xl-not-updating-its/683c30f7-754b-4328-ad86-1e74d9ad1d53

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/musicandvideo/forum/xboxmusic/bug-groove-for-w10-mobile-is-not-addingdisplaying/27d5ed95-1839-40d4-912b-451d3c03d1a9

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue too. It's really annoying!

If you plug the phone into the PC, there are sub folders that are hidden within the Music folder, I was wondering if it was something in here that could be causing the issue I'm not in a position to do it now but I'm going to give it a go deleting the hidden files tonight and see if that resolves the issue.

2 x Xbox One, Xbox 360 E, Lumia 950XL, Surface Pro, Microsoft Band, Windows 10 Gaming Rig

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It did not work unfortunately. I've tweeted MS and Lumia so hopefully they will respond.
2 x Xbox One, Xbox 360 E, Lumia 950XL, Surface Pro, Microsoft Band, Windows 10 Gaming Rig

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I killed those hidden folders once in the Xbox Music era, troubleshooting, and it destabilized the ability to play or display any of the songs, requiring a hard reset; so you might want to be careful.  Maybe they've shorn up the behavior in Groove though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

super annoying problem :(  looks like there are a lot of other people having this issue as well.  Would be nice if they fixed this.  Definitely don't want to hard reset if they will take care of it in near future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2020 Views 1,709 Applies to: