[Bug] Groove for W10 Mobile is not adding/displaying newly copied music to its database from WMP12 sync

[Bug] Groove is not adding/displaying newly added music from WMP12 sync. 

Windows 10 Mobile Groove 3.6.1537.0 / 10:49 PM 12/11/2015

I have ~33,000 songs on an external 128GB SD card on a Lumia 950XL, when I add new music via autoplaylist sync from Win10's WMP12 to the phone's 32GB internal storage, those files are physically on the device (per file explorer) but Groove does not kick off its 'find music' routines and they never show in the UI. 

Additionally it does not start its file change listening / interrogation routines when your autosync or you regularly *delete* songs.  This has happened on my SD card *and* internal storage.

Please fix or provide an option to re-start the music search. 

Failing that, provide an option to reset the entire music database to force the re-interrogation.  You have my permission to search the logs of the device to help find a solution.

Note: I did a hard reset trying to fix this and said 'no' to removing content on the SD card.  On fresh start after hard reset Groove did its proper interrogation and found the 33K songs on the SD card, but new songs added after that fact to the internal or SD card storage do not show up and there has been no 'adding your music' notification in days.

|

I would like to add that the exact same thing has happened to me however the songs were stored on the internal storage rather than my 128GB SD Card. I've manually deleted the songs using my PC however the catalogue does not update and when you manually sync I receive the error unable to Sync.

Lumia 950XL

2 x Xbox One, Xbox 360 E, Lumia 950XL, Surface Pro, Microsoft Band, Windows 10 Gaming Rig

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the additional data point. :-)  Seems like this Groove file system change detection is rife with defects.

I also see the problem as you describe on my internal storage too; I tried to troubleshoot it by putting files there as well on sync or even manually copying them over.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone have solution?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It continues to be a problem at least on production branch, not sure of Redstone.

I broke down and removed my 128GB SD card did a hard reset; filled up the internal 32GB of the Lumia 950XL and for a week it's been successfully adding content on the internal storage via WMP sync.  Will see if it's smart enough to remove entries now that the week autoplaylist sync will start removing them from the file system shortly.

They need to get this working with large SD cards.  I may try a 64GB card next to see if that makes a difference. :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The same issue applies to a 735 with 128GB SD card. The music is on the card, (can see either with Explorer or Tag Editor), but does not appear in Groove.  Update was slow, but I think complete on XBOX but appears to have stalled completely on Groove.  100s of albums yet to appear.
Is there a button / command to rescan the phone and re-catalogue?

Syncing via the Window Phone Program on the PC (running Windows 10) also stalls.  Original Sync (in XBOX) worked, but then failed on subsequent uses and on Groove.  Can copy music onto phone / SD card via Media Player.  It the suffers the issue above, so as I can't see it in Groove, can't play it.

The IPod Classic is no longer made, so I can't revert to that solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Lumia 930 & 1520 displaying this annoying issue, it also happens with my friends Lumia 950. Nothing to do with the way your Music files are added to the device - I have 102GB of WMA files to add, this is done with an Anker USB 3 Card Reader to minimise bottle necks - groove is not updating the database, I've only seen it Sync once. It would be really good just to get the Apps functioning correctly and heaven forbid the one at Redmond who suggests ditching an app and write a new one, with different bugs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just wanted to follow up on the issues I had w/ Groove for Windows 10 Mobile failing to properly update the UI when I had music added or removed (typically via WMP sync of autoplaylists). This is with large numbers of songs (10,000+) on external SD card and internal storage.

It seems to have cleared up somewhere in the last few rounds of Groove updates. I'm on the release preview ring, not Redstone.

I had previously had success w/ removing my 128GB Sandisc SD card and gone internal only. When that worked for a month or so with the Groove UI finding my changes and giving me the toast messages that it adding/removing the music, I decided to put the SD card back in and load it up with songs.

It's still working thankfully, and knock on wood.

Groove: 3.6.23303

Windows 10 Mobile: 10.0.10586.456

Now Groove team: Please add wireless sync of autoplaylists ala WMP, I want to sync songs added in the last X days, or by genre in the last X days etc. Like WMP allows. And do this syncing wirelessly. :) Thanks -

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having this issue with my Lumia 640 xl with 16gb sd card. I have 300 songs in the sd card.Earlier when i was signed in to the groove app, all the songs in the sd card disappeared in groove music and as soon as i signed out i found all my songs right in the app. To fix this i took backup of all my sd card files on my pc. Formatted the card. But the issue got worse. Now even when i was signed out of the app my songs didn't reappear. It sucks. Gonna reset my phone 😭😭

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the fix that worked for me.

Backup your phone.

Format your SD Card

Factory Reset your Phone

Connect your Phone back to your Microsoft Account

Make your Phone is fully up to date

Download/Update your Apps

Restart Phone

Add Music to your SD card

Start Groove

Since doing this, all has worked 100%, it seems the only way to delete a dodgy database is to reset the phone.

Hope this works for you too...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Steps that helped me on Lumia 950XL (Insider preview release) :

- Stop running Groove instance

- Remove back cover while keep phone turned on

- Settings -> Storage -> SDCard -> Remove -> Confirm

- Remove SD card from its slot

- Put the SD card back into its slot

- Start Groove and point to songs view

Then Groove started to search for newly added music on my SD Card

Hope it helps ;-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2018 Views 993 Applies to: