An update will be available later today for the Groove app on Windows 10 / versions 3.6.1513.0 and 3.6.1517.0

A new release is available today for the Groove app on Windows 10 for desktop and mobile. This release includes the following:

For desktop (version 3.6.1513.0):

• Improved Live Tile UX
    • Showing the Groove logo when artwork is displayed
    • Showing album art
    • Removing the black half gradient
    • Shuffling the metadata around to be more useful

For mobile (version 3.6.1517.0):

• Read album reviews
  • Update to Playlist header
  • Remove things from Recent Plays

Please continue making your feedback known in the Windows Feedback app, in store reviews, and elsewhere on the Internet. We’re listening!

Thank you for your continued support,

The Groove Team

Discussion Info

Last updated January 28, 2019 Views 3,025 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ok, let me coment that again, as I already did in almost every another changlog for Groove Music...

Why the albuns inside an Artist Page are not Most Recent (Released Date) ordered?? This is pretty basic for every music player in every platform!

And, another update and another two weeks without know what are the recently added musics to my colection! I can't order my colection by Released Date or Added Date! This is ridiculous! I am a Pass user since 2011 and every week that I simple cant acess my most recent music make me more regretful for keeping paying for this servisse.

These updates are available in the Store now.

While these minor cosmetic changes are welcomed, it is troubling to see no bigger vision for this product beyond its minimal feature set.

The direction of this product is clearly being steered by a focus to maximize Groove Music Pass subscribers. Unfortunately, this has resulted in a subpar experience for those not wanting to use a streaming service. In fact, the Groove Music Player is inferior to the Zune player c. 2008.

It is a mistake by leadership to identify a music app as an ancillary service from which revenue can be driven; instead, it is a core function of a mobile OS that plays a key role in user experience and enjoyment, just like the camera. I can only imagine how great the Windows Phone music experience would be if the same level of resources were allocated to Music as there is to Camera.

I have been a Windows Phone user for 4 years and will likely move to an Android device for one simple reason: There is no app on Windows Phone that allows me to rate songs (from 1-5) and also modifies the tag directly when doing so (just like WMP did). I have waited for years for this functionality to no avail.

It's now obvious that the music experience in Windows Phone is a barebones one, with these other key missing features:

- Dynamic playlists

- Scrobbling

- Equalizer

- Visualization

- Themes/skins

There are also odd inconsistencies and weird behaviors. Firstly, on the desktop Groove app, the album art is pulled from the file, but on the mobile app, it is pulled from the cloud somewhere. Secondly, music files moved to the OneDrive Music folder are seemingly modified in some way, as the Date Modified attribute is updated when a music file is placed there. Why would anyone want their cloud storage files modified, especially without notice or explanation?

These missing features and frustrations outweigh most of the benefits the current app provides, especially when compared to offerings on other mobile OS's. It's very disheartening to see Microsoft not competing to be the best in this space.

Stop making products to steer user behavior to your desires; instead, make products that are desired by your users.

Ok, let me coment that again, as I already did in almost every another changlog for Groove Music...

Why the albuns inside an Artist Page are not Most Recent (Released Date) ordered?? This is pretty basic for every music player in every platform!

And, another update and another two weeks without know what are the recently added musics to my colection! I can't order my colection by Released Date or Added Date! This is ridiculous! I am a Pass user since 2011 and every week that I simple cant acess my most recent music make me more regretful for keeping paying for this servisse.

I know what you feel bro

As a music lover I keep all my songs categorized with their cover arts, number, date of release etc, and as much as I love Windows 10, I need to say that this alphabetic order of the albums is one of the hateful things of this whole platform.

I really don't know what happens with Microsoft, even their Groove music app for the IOs has the albums correctly categorized with RELEASE DATE order and not ALPHABETIC DATE order

Please Microsoft, I never asked you for anything, just give us an option to categorize our albums the way we want to.

Sorry you feel that way.

Our primary focus is being a great default player actually. And we take feedback very seriously, both objective and subjective.

There is no doubt that we have work to do to get beyond having fans trust the app as the best default music player on every platform...but know that we share the same vision you do.

If you have specific feedback on things we need to improve other than what you included in your post, let us know. We're all ears.

Watch the forums here for app update announcements every other week or so to see what we've added in our latest sprint.

We hear your feedback loud and clear. Remember that we don't preannounce new features so please don't assume that because we haven't announced that a feature is coming that it isn't in the works. Watch the forum for change logs as we ship updates every two weeks or so.
If they were trying to maximize pass subscribers then they would be improving the app substantially so I don't get your reasoning there.
Hey Ellen, @bthom93 here. I look forward to Groove updates. I hope it can work it's way to becoming a proper Zune descendent/replacement. I try to give feedback in the Windows feedback app often. Based on the changes you have made here I just wanted to give feedback on the large live tile layout. The text, "Now Playing", on the tile I feel would be more aesthetically pleasing if it were either moved to above the artist and song info or just above the Groove app title. My digital music experience was forever changed when Zune reached its final iteration so a music apps UI/UX is very important to me. Having "Now Playing" just floating there in the middle feels awkward and obstructs the artist image. Thanks for updating!

Hey Ellen,

Thanks to the team for the continued good work on this app.  I understand you guys do not pre-announce features, but I sure hope the plan is to reinstate artist imagery lock screen support on Mobile.

Also, while it's great to have live tiles back, any chance you guys will get it back to the style we had with XBM?  The animated panning of images and artist name scrolling across the tiles was far more engaging than the static display of the current layout.

Thanks again and keep the updates coming.

They have prioritized development of streaming functionality for years over basic features such as dynamic playlists. True, if they really wanted to maximize pass subscribers they'd have assigned far more resources to the app over the past 6 years Windows Phone has been in development.