Xbox Music app on Windows 8.1 keeps trying to sign-in

Hi all,

As the title states I have Xbox Music pass on my windows 8.1 laptop and have been using Xbox music app for about 3 months now. The app is good, albeit missing some useful functionalities. However, the last couple of weeks I have noticed some issues. The performance being slow yet the resources on my computer bountiful. In addition, I have been having a sign-in issue every couple of days and I can't seem to determine the reason why but suspect one possibility.

From time to time when I open the app it keeps attempting to sign-in. In the top right corner the typical notification will pop-up showing that it is attempting to sign-in, then it will disappear for a split second only to pop-up again in an attempt again and repeat. The app never will sign in rendering my music pass unusable and the explore feature alerting me that the service is temporarily not available. At first I thought this was a server issue on Microsoft's end. However, when switching to another user account on my laptop I am able to sign in just fine using the same sing-in credentials.

Now, given this I am now suspecting that this has everything to do with the multiple user accounts on the laptop affecting the sign-in. If it is the case that only one user can be logged in at a time this has potential to make sense. Is it the case the only one user can be logged on at one time even if logging in from the same laptop under a different user account. If that is so it is quite frustrating.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case. 

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2019 Views 5,978 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello BrandonWren:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding the issue you are having getting signed into your account.  I am not 100% sure I am following what is happening so I will recap my understanding and add a few points about how Xbox Music and Windows 8 works.

You have a Music Pass and this Music Pass is associated with your primary Microsoft account.  You have a primary user profile on your laptop that was created with this Microsoft account.  When you launch the Xbox Music application, you periodically have issues with the sign in.  Although you did not explicitly state it works on some occasions, I gathered from your wording that it does sometimes successfully sign in.  This problem is preventing you from successfully using your Music Pass.

You then signed out of this user account and signed into another on the computer.  It looks to me that this is a local account as you state you successfully signed into the app with the same sign in credentials.  I am assuming this means the same ones that gave you issues on the other user profile.  I am assuming you are now using a local profile as this would be the only way you have a chance to individually sign into an account.  If you use a user account on a computer that is tied to a Microsoft account the Xbox Music application will auto sign in and there is no option to sign out and sign into another account.  When you do sign into your account with this alternate user account you are able to sign in and use your Xbox Music Pass.  If my understanding is mistaken, please clarify where I went wrong.

If my understanding is correct then it is most likely that the issue is the user account on your laptop associated with your Music Pass account.  There are a couple things I will suggest at this time and will then await a follow up before we consider bigger steps. 

• First, clear the temp folder associated with your primary user profile.  You can do this by pressing and holding the windows key plus R and then typing in %temp% in the search box.  Once you press enter you will see various files and folders.  Please select all of them and delete them.  Some content may not delete, in that case just skip it.
  • Once the temp folder has been emptied, uninstall the Music application from your computer.  You can do this by right clicking the app from your app list or from the modern UI screen. 
  • After the application is fully uninstalled, reboot your computer.
  • Upon reboot of the computer, go to the store and download and install the Xbox Music application.
  • Now, launch the application and monitor the sign in behavior and attempt to use your Music Pass. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns we can assist you with.

Mark W.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.