What happened to the 100 Free Albums on xBox Music?

On Wed, 11/26/2014, I spent the majority of my day with xBox tech support trying to download the 100 Free Holiday albums that were available (Lumia 521.) Everytime I went to purchase a Free album, the app would go completely blank - not allowing me to purchase anything! Only after I completely wiped my phone was I able to download any music, HOWEVER, the majority of the albums were no longer "Free" as previously advertised. And this was all on the same day. There was no information provided as to why the promotion ended or if the albums would be brought back for re-download.  

Please advise if these titles will return or what recourse is being offered to customers who were unable to participate, although the app clearly stated that the albums were all available for at least 18/19 more days. 

Thanks!

Some examples of albums that were previously listed under the Holiday Freebie promo that are no longer free:

A Day Without Rain - Enya

Unplugged (Deluxe) - Eric Clapton

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

Some Nights - Fun.

Sweet Baby James - James Taylor

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

CKittieSprint -

Thank you for posting.

We are aware of this happening, and we're currently investigating the cause and possible resolution.  I'll try to update this thread as soon as I have any information to provide.

Regards,
Kevin J S

Forum Crusader

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any update on this?  I got some of the free albums purchased before half disappeared.

What about the box sets?  Half of them disappeared as well.  The sale on those is supposed to end today!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Haven't received an update, however I did notice when I opened my xBox Music app today that many of the "Holiday Freebie" albums had changed! There are still a few albums from last week that are available as well. 

Some examples of newly added Holiday Freebies:

Ellie Goulding - Halcyon Days

ABBA - ABBA Gold

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

Zedd - Clarity

No Doubt - Push And Shove

I have not had an opportunity to cross check these "newly added" albums with the original 100 Free Album list, although I suspect that this is how they will carry out the remainder of the promotion. Makes sense in a way, they kinda showed their WHOLE holiday hand in one promotion. Hopefully someone at Microsoft will be able to verify.

Additionally, there is an update available for the xBox Music app as well. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Kevin JS,

As another user who is curious to know why the full original set of 100 free albums disappeared before the promotion ended, and I'm curious to know if they will be returning while the promotion is still offered, or if the promotion will no longer be offered as a list of 100, but only the albums currently listed?

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The promotion was always intended to change which albums were available as the promo progressed, so I can understand if the first time we changed what albums were available seemed a bit sudden.  At this time, as far as I'm aware it will be limited to 50 albums through the end of the promotion, though which albums will be free will possibly change again before the promo runs out.  When looking at the album in the Music Deals app, it'll list how long that album will be free.

Regards,

Kevin J S

Forum Crusader

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for clarifying and your quick response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I knew and understood that this would be a limited time promotion, however, i thought all the items listed in the 50 box set deals and 100 freebies had the same time duration listed.  That is the reason that I am asking about those that disappeared.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't say for sure as to why anything may have been removed early.  The majority of the time though, its the content provider (the record label or the artist) that decides to pull their content from a promotion like that, in the past.  I haven't actually seen anything one way or another for sure as to what happened with some of those original 100.

Regards,

Kevin J S

Forum Crusader

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am seeing the same thing with the more recent promotion. Of all the albums I added, only one is still remaining in my collection.

I am new to Windows 8.1 but if this is how the platform works, I guess I should just stick to my Apple/Google world--very frustrating!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I am having the same issue. I downloaded the Music Deals app and Xbox Music yesterday, along with some of the free albums. Today, the Holiday Freebies section is missing from Music Deals. When I search for the albums in Music, they are showing full price.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 365 Applies to: